Why I Quit Tae Kwon Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You made the right decision to change school. You'll never be the best you can be in a school that you're unhappy with.

One word of advice, don't get into the habit of jumping from school to school to school. Find one that you are willing to make a long term commitment to and make this your base and if you want to, you can train in other styles while maintaining your base.

I also think that jumping school to school is a bad practice.

However there may be hidden bugs in the various schools that reveal themself after some time... like the ones that BlobOn found on his second school and then the more time you stayed the more is harder to quit... and this for various reasons. I think it takes much courage to leave a school after some time and restart over into another school.... but there are things we must do even if they are unpleasent to some degree.I also understand what BlobOn says about meeting his old instructor to prove him he was wrong.... It is not desire for revenge but just to give a contribution to improve some evironment that once we were part of.

I once thought of looking into TKD but I consider it more of a sport than a true Martial Art. I think the use of hands is extreamly important for a real fight considering most fight resort to really close combat or rolling on the ground. I live in LittleRock which is the headquarters of ATA and I have to say that they pritty much just hand out the belts. Also the black belts are so undertrained knowing first person from an experiance I had at a compitition, most had no idea what to do on a rush of punching flurrys because they are so leg bias.

I am not insulting Tkd or ATA I just think that over the years it has gone down hill.

Regards

thats true about the black belts- a black belt is supposed to mean one of two things.

1) you are the truly elite in your art. the gracies still do it that way, and you wont see a lot of black belts even among great fighters.

2) ive heard it used to be that you got a black belt (which was right after your whitebelt, or no belt, or something) when you truly became a student of the art. you had to be really good, then youd get a black belt and only then could you be considered a student of the art. (felt like typing that one out twice.) even that attitude is done now- black belts think that that's it, theyre masters now or something. again, especially in tkd it seems.

its about ego now, fragile little egos need reinforcement. combine that with the rigidity and inflexibility of the traditional attitude still lingering around, and you have a recipe for some crappy, non effective, non worthwhile, and essentially useless martial arts.

but i digress...

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't understand is why he would complain about other peoples so called weaknesses when he had to gripe to the grandmaster about his so called hand problem and you don't even complete the strike you get another strike to attempt. Show some consideration for others as your grandmaster did for you!!!!!

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

my 2 cents... A black Belt is a White belt that never quit... And I agree with VinniDaChin... "Once you reach Black belt you are now a true Martial Arts Student". Now the real training begins, you know all the basics, material up to this point, and there is so much more to learn. Stay focused, and true...

The way belt systems used to be done really shines light on this whole delema...

I think starting with a white belt and then not being consided a black belt until your belt is black from your blood sweat and tears was the ultimate indication.

Of course, alot of people these days would probably expidite the process... :roll:

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• 4 months later...

I passed my black belt for TKD at 15 and had to do seven breaks, more than some adults. But it does seem that today martial arts schools churn out the black belts, not just TKD though.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

• 3 weeks later...