renketsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During summer in my kung fu school we can wear our summer uniform which is chuen trousers, white shirt and belt. Also in my karate class we can wear t-shirts a gi is required only during the summer exams

• 4 weeks later...

We have all our upper belts and instructors wear full uniform. During the summer, we would let some of the beginners wear a tshirt that was an official dojo screened shirt. Those days they would most likely get a Cardio workout as opposed to learning something that would require a gi to be worn.

In our dojo a gi top is a matter of pride as with your belt, it is a uniform and thats that. I dont see it as a particulary bad idea to wear a t shirt but if your gonna wear the pants and the belt you might as well wear the gi top.

Some one mentioned removing the gi top to do sanchin kata to see the breathing, although not required it is a good idea for practice.

I cant see no benefit in wearing a t shirt instead, if you cant handle the heat and do things to alter your uniform you arent gaining spirit. In australia it is extremely hot in summer 40 + degrees celsius most days. Yet we must wear our gi day in and day out, i find it gives you a form of accomplishment and challenge as the heat is throwing everything at you and you are giving it all you have. This to me is training with spirit. Putting on a t shirt is giving up and that is why you will find that most head of styles wont allow it as they have the same view.

As a one of training event - ok is say. regular for summer - no.

We actually run classes as a one off every now and then wear everyone wears there "going out clothes" and shoes to see how they would fair in a real fight sparring with what they wear out. Its amazing how much the clothes they wear restrict their ability and how many slip over in their shoes they wear especially the girls.

so in the end my view is - training full gi, one off event - up to you.

its a good gymick i think and some students may see it as that, just be careful that you explain that is for their benefit.

also i know that the full gi is my opinion and as a traditional karate style/club i think its important so this is were im bassing my view, as for your club or anyones, its up to you and i think it owuld work but i think it may lower spirit in summer if you give them an avenue to weaken so to speak???????

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

This is t-shirt week in my dojang .... WOOOHOOO!!! And Hiedi thought it was unheard of LOL. Sorry, I'm just pickin at ya :) I'm Lovin the t-shirt thing ... Oh and it's breaking week. ME Love breaking hehehehehe (ok, I'm just being silly except for the t-shirt and breaking thing LOL).

Laurie F

no. wear your gi top during the summer. it will be very hot, but if you can stand it it will make mentally tougher

God grant me the sirenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Yellow Belt

At my school uniforms are mandatory only for testing and special occasions. Most students don't wear the uniform on a regular basis. What is nice about this is that when we have one of these events all of the uniforms look sharp and make a positive gesture for our school to guests and potential students.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

This is t-shirt week in my dojang .... WOOOHOOO!!! And Hiedi thought it was unheard of LOL. Sorry, I'm just pickin at ya :) I'm Lovin the t-shirt thing ... Oh and it's breaking week. ME Love breaking hehehehehe (ok, I'm just being silly except for the t-shirt and breaking thing LOL).

It is unheard of..at PYMA! BooHooHoo!!!! I love t-shirt week and I won't be able to make class in Canandaigua this week!!!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Oh man. I wish you can be there Heidi. I'm having a blast. Eventhough I feel funky without my belt (ok it sounds stupid, but oh well) My old dojang used to train in t-shirts dobok pants and our belts. But here, they want us to wear dobok pants, a t-shirt and no belt. I just feel weird. Don't know why ..... I'm wearing my full uniform tomorrow .....

Laurie F