• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello all, I am new to Muay Thai. I had my first couple of classes and everything seems to be going well. My instructor said he was impressed with me after only attending a week of classes. Anyway I am feeling uncomfortable throwing hooks and uppercuts, is this common for someone who has never really done this? I do find that I can do them better with my right arm since I am right handed. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Laissez les bons temps rouler (less ay lay bon ton roo lay) - "Let the good times roll", a popular Cajun expression. It captures the Cajun "joie de vivre" (joy of life).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah the movement can feel unnatural at first. You should be able to do them just fine in a couple of weeks. good luck, stick with it, i can give you hand if you got technical questions.

Seize the day!

Hooks and uppercuts rely much on timing. Which is probably what is making them feel "unnatural" for you. Once you get your timing down and know when the proper time is to throw these techniques, it won't seem so awkward. Unlike the jab or cross which can be thrown as a feint very easily, you leave your self more open when throwing hooks and uppercuts by nature of the movement. An opening really must be there for the technique to work well. In contrast, a right uppercut can "pop" your opponents head up and create a perfect opportunity for a left hook. Just work on your timing. That's what it's all about in full contact anyway, timing and counters. Best way to do this, spar, spar, and spar some more.

Edited by muaythaifreak

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

Welcome to KF.

Hooks and uppercuts (expecially uppercuts with their low-up motion) needs some coordination at the beginning but keep practicing and they will turn out just fine.

Thanks for the advice, I think my coordination is the problem. I can't do anything with my left hand.

Laissez les bons temps rouler (less ay lay bon ton roo lay) - "Let the good times roll", a popular Cajun expression. It captures the Cajun "joie de vivre" (joy of life).

Then its just prectice, no special trick just do it as your Kru tells you and practice at home, in no time you wont be thinking about how to do hooks.

Seize the day!