• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

me and karate?

Drunken Monkey

as many of you know this little monkey has been 'homeless' for a while now.

recently, a karate club (or whatever you prefere to call it although 'studio' is a bit poncey in my opinion...) has opened in my very local area.

it is isshinryu and from what i can tell either headed by or even actually taught by ticky donovan.

i have had a look on the net for info so no 'tap in google...' replies please.

what i want are comments/thoughts/opinions from you guys who know about the style and what you think of it and the possibility of me training there.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont study isshin ryu but here are some of the main things that the training emphasizes:

1. Below the waist kicks

2. Short natural stances

3. 50% hand techniques 50% foot techniques

4. Close range techniques for self defence

5. Hard and soft blocking

and one that i think you will be happy with (if im correct in saying you used to study wing chun)

6. Use of the vertical fist in punching.

Those are some of the main points. Hope it helps.

wow, Ticky Donovan! He's an amazing MAist, if you got the chance to train with him I would be so jealous! As for his style, isshin-ryu, I've heard that its like a combination of aspects of all the major karate styles, such as shotokan, goju-ryu, shukokai etc. Go for it! :karate:

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

I'm not in isshin ryu I'm in Goju and I recently switch to karate from kickboxing. I just want to say that I'm enthusiast of my new art, I think that karate if is well tought it is very good.

Have Fun! :karate:

Monkey, if that club is taught by Ticky Donovan then I'd really recommend it!!

I've had the privelage of training with him and he is an excellent karateka and really knows his stuff.

My advice is to go along and try out a few lessons. Even if it is wildly different to what you've already been training in, who knows? You might love it. If not, then at least you've been along to see.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

well, i'm kinda busy the coming weeks with job interviews and the like, as well as prepping my portfolio.

just want to get into the right frame of mind

and also want to let you guys know what's going on in my world.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

There is an Isshinryu dojo in my town and I've not heard anything bad about it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu