• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyusho-jutsu in Shotokan

Bl4cKtH0rN

If you really want Kyusho Jitsu, take RyuTe Karate (aka Ryukyu Kempo Karate) under someone who trains under Seiyu Oyata. They're hard to find, but if you find one of his Shin Shu Ho students, they know their stuff. http://www.kushu.com/dojos.htm

Know thyself.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem with Shotokan is that so much of it was re-invented along the lines of making it more 'sporting' or 'athletic' . as a consequence, kata's were pretied up with longer deepr stances, higher kicks and simple block/punch combinations.

they droppeed weapons

they dropped grappling

they dropped bunkai

of course, if you take a look at shito ryu /wado ryu and use a little brain power, you can re-invent lots of it.

also, try to see some yuishinkai. thats more like how shotokan used to be - and includes lots of practical stuff.

as for shotokan being a sport - who needs kyushu jutsu when your in your 20's, 17stone ambidextrous and of course a 4th dan. getting hit by that sort of person is likely to incur some downtime in the target.

anyone ever see frank brenan or terry oneil in the UK. kyushu jutsu would be like a drainpipe exhaust on a ferarri for these people

Not dead yet. I just havent showered after training

I do shotokan and we still do have grappling. You just gotta find an instructor who knows his/her stuff.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

but you can't deny the fact that it was re-designed (from the original styles) to better suit teaching in schools as opposed to pure fighting.

while this does not detract from anything which it claims to offer, it does serve to remind that maybe, because of this, there are elements that aren't as it were pre-funakoshi.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Shotokan is really only for sport.

I disagree. Perhaps you should find a good Shotokan dojo and attend a few classes.

Did you ever see the early "UFC" like #1-#4?

The shotokan lads got the living crap kicked out of them, so to say the shotokan waza can be used in combat man I would not want your shotokan army protecting my country!

The shotokan guys are the best fighters for AAU or WAKO or WKF or what-ever and when 3 guys do a team UNSU it its magical but that's where it ends SPORT not real life combat in the jungle sorry.

Did you ever see the early "UFC" like #1-#4?

Saying that shotokan is just for sport is obviously incorrecting considering UFC is a sport and shotokan fights as you say "got the living crap kicked out of them".

man I would not want your shotokan army protecting my country!

Shotokan was designed for personal protection, not battlefield combat.

that's where it ends SPORT not real life combat in the jungle sorry.

I dont know of any martial arts other than military combatives that are designed to work in the "jungle". Incase you didnt notice, UFC isnt faught in the jungle either.