Bl4cKtH0rN

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you may see some. like shi-zuki(all fingers and tumb together) in gojushiho or fukubu geri( kick with tip of toes) in chinto can be use for

kyusho but it mostly depend on sensei , some have the knowledge of kyusho so they add it to the waza(s).

Shotokan is really only for sport.

It depends on the school, each school you go to will have a different focus, some being as a sport, some as self-defence, some for self-improvment and some mix all three of these.

To say shotokan is "only for sport" is selling it short.

I don't know much about kyusho jitsu being present in Shotokan. But I can tell you that a seminair will be held near the place where I live and in this seminair the kyusho jitsu of the Heian kata's will be taught. So I guess that kyusho jitsu is present in the Heian kata's.

Usually in Shotokan you don't learn anything about kyusho jitsu. It isn't part of it. The teacher just must happen to know it. I for example used to go to a Shotokan school where some teachers also practised jiu jitsu and they sometimes taught a few kyusho points to us.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

I agree with those who said it depends on the school.....in my area there're few shotokan dojos...but each one is pretty different. There's one in which shotokan is practiced mostly in the soft version, another where you come home injured....and the one i'm going now that the instructor having practiced jujutsu for three years, he do some connections to it....making the training a bit more complete in my opinion.

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

Put it this way, free sparring is only for sport not self defense...so if you do a lot of jiyu kumite then your focus is sport even if you never go to a tournament.

Also if you focus on making your kata look good rather than the bunkai / oyo then your focus is for sport even if you never ever go to a tournament.

Put it this way, free sparring is only for sport not self defense...so if you do a lot of jiyu kumite then your focus is sport even if you never go to a tournament.

Also if you focus on making your kata look good rather than the bunkai / oyo then your focus is for sport even if you never ever go to a tournament.

Informer, that is quite a narrow view of Shotokan. Yes, there are shotokan schools like that, but there are schools like that in ALL forms of karate and martial arts. There are also some pretty darned good clubs out there with great instructors, to which I happen to belong to one.

The Kyusho Jitsu in shotokan depends upon the individual instructor teaching it. Same as in any style - individual instructors decide on what to concentrate on and what to leave out. Just because something isn't done at one club doesn't necessarily man it isn't done at other clubs in that style. Also, just because some clubs don't include certain aspects of training doesn't automatically mean that that style is useless or only for sport.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Only a sport??? Not at my school nor in many of the books I study. Yeah it can be used as one but to call Shotokan a sport IMO is an injustice. Well when you add the word only anyhow.

IMO Shotokan is one of the few styles that allows the person to go both ways. Meaning SD/combat or towards a sport/hobbie. Take you pick but it is anything but ONE its both, each, and all.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."