• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts Religon

Some places force their idealism on the student. I can see respecting customs and following them, but going into the idealism isn't right. I have been to places where the instructors believe in the Japanese religons simular to Buddish, and they try to rub it off on the students. I think that since we are in the West we should just use Martial Arts as an activity and a hobby, not a way of life. That is of course if you don't want it to be a religion.....

Post below, GOGO! :cool:

Do unto others, as they done to you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Touchy subject matter Mr. McGee. Those instructors would have been truly wise to not even mention religion. But everyone has thier own opinions. And I don't see why someone can't practice martial arts and be of the Christian faith or even a non-believer. I don't think there is a concrete definition for a martial artist, is there?

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

• 2 years later...

I'm bringing this thread back!! :brow:

There is a difference between spiritual and religious.

I consider my martial arts training spiritual.

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v71/soulfighting/SOUL%20SONIC%20STYLE/Fighting1.jpg

THE MASTER OF THE WORLD'S FINEST!!

SOUL SONIC STYLE!!

I haven't much experience about spiritual side of martial arts. I practice tai chi chuan since little time (mid January 2004) and kickboxing since one year.

Kickboxing has discipline but I would not consider it spiritual at all, and since now I haven't experience the spiritual effects of tai chi chuan jet. Anyway I never heard that here in Italy teacher use martial art as a trojan horse to convert people to oriental religion if this happens to you please report your experience.

this goes two ways. There are schools forceing christianity on people to. I am a christian but i hate that! It's not fair, espicially in an area we're there isn't very many dojo's period.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• 3 weeks later...

Spirituality, religion, belief in God and other spirits are part of the same phenomenom.

It is often said there is a differnece between God and religion, or between religion and spirituality.

The difference lies primarily with the individual. When one is convinced of his beliefs then it transcends religion and becomes spirituality.

Another individual believes that all answers lie in the religion he clings to. In this case, religion is the ultimate.

If spiritualism in the martial arts is attributed to "unknowable" supernatural phenomena, then it approaches religion.

I would accept that martial arts is my religion. However I tend to think there is a natural answer to everything.

There are sides in the oriental religion that are similar to us, thus can be "converted". Still some are opposite and maybe wouldn't be looked upon too good by our fellow people. For myself ... I try to take from Karate some things and use them in my real life, making me better, helping me to grow as a good huma, but still I'm a Christian, Orthodox and Romanian.

I don't live in Japan. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Religion is linked with spirituality but religion is an organization, a larger thing. Spirituality lives in the individual whether they belong to a church or not. It is a personal thing.

When you are at a training hall, there may be religious customs from the past linked to it, but this is normal. Nothing because it doesn't mean it invades your spirituality. When you bow, or salute, or whatever, to your instructor, you may not know what the symbolic gestures come from, but you know it's just a form of respect; To him, the lineage of instructors, the culture where all this great stuff is from. If someone has religious conflicts with anything, they can hopefully resolve it with their spirituality. If not, then a real earnest talk with the teachers and see where it goes. I hope religious issues will not build resentment towards another cultures traditions unnessesarily. Martial arts is often about getting along and resolving conflict efficiently.

Also, if you don't like something at a school because of a teacher, whether you feel religion is being imposed, or s/he smells, or pinches your bum, or is drunk all the time. Consider looking elsewhere. You want a teacher you respect and respects you.

Ciao!

There is no "best" martial art. A good martial artist is a good martial artist. - various good martial artists