• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The perfect body!!! Is that too much to ask?!?

Sky

Yeah, I know it is, but I don't even want that much. I am overweight and need to drop some of the pounds.

I would like to lose 30 pounds in the next few months (before school starts again), and I need to know a training pattern I can follow to help me achieve these major results. I going to start taking either ju-jitsu or karate in the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions for what work outs I should start doing every day to get fit for the martial arts?

Keep in mind that I am fat, and I can't do many sit ups or much serious running yet until I lose some of the weight. I also cannot do push ups. At all. Is there another exercise that I can do maybe at home to help me work the muscles I will need for sit ups?

I know this seems like a lost or hopeless cause, but I was just alerted to the fact that it is bad for my health to be so overweight as young as I am. I have been trying really hard lately to get in shape, and I would appreciate it if any of you had any training tips you would like to share.

Thank you,

Sky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erm smoe kind of circuit training my be good .. and if u cnt do full sit ups just do them s far as u can .. thats the only way i can think of to strengthen ur stomach ... or you could go into ur MA school and ask them for a reigeme

Orange sash

Just a suggestion:

Buy yourself a mini trampoline (trampette), get some good music on, and jump! Its great fun and really good all-over exercise. Also, you can build up your fitness by measuring how many songs you can jump for - I can do about 8 or 9 before getting really out of breath!

Alternatively, swimming is great, as is cycling. Good luck :D

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

Yeah, not having a car has forced me to sometimes bike almost 10 miles a day. Maybe you should pretend you don't have a car for a while - ya know. :wink:

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

When having problems with weight and lack of a good physichal condition (sp?) the way to solve the problem is to do exercises. Don't wait to lose weight and become a sportsman by night. Do sports and you'll lose the weight and improve. The only way to be able to do situps is to do them. One or 2 today, 3 and more tomorrow. It's the same for all exercises. You won't condition while dreamind.Put yourself to training and you'll see the benefits. So go for it. Get down and do pushups, situps and so on. Make a schedule for your effort. Start realistically. For the first days do 5-10 repetitions if you can't do more. But stick with the plan. Don't be ashamed for your problem, hard work will solve it.

So work and add some more "spice" as you become stronger. Watch for your diet and work out. And then tell us how it's working :karate:

The key to losing weight is diet and cardio. Swimming is great, eliptical machine is fantastic. I lost about 30 lbs just biking all the time...but I mean ALL the time. Martial Arts contributed to about 15 lbs of fat loss and 10 lbs of muscle gain. Keep in mind, I trained five days a week for at least two, if not three hours a day. I'm a bit obsessive like that. But if you do 20 minutes of cardio a day, with good dietary habits, you should lose weight fine.

As for what to eat...lots of protein. No fried foods. Try to cut out as much white bread as possible (keep the simple carbs low). No pop, stick to water (juice is actually bad too, due to the high sugar content...if you want to drink juice, drink it right before your workout). Fat free everything (don't buy the generic fat free, it tastes horrible. Try to get the brand name stuff, they don't sacrifice as much flavor). And remember, seasoning does NOT add calories or carbs. I eat a ridiculous amount of chicken, and have to keep my options open for flavor (just got myself some of Emeril's brand of seasoning, I'll tell you how that is).

In conclusion:

Good meats: Chicken, lean steak (sirloin), Salmon, Cod, Tuna, Pork (loins...pork is a fattier meat, so try to find the leanest cuts), turkey

Frozen Veggies

Fat Free Cottage Cheese

Brown Rice

Baked Potatos

Fast food options: Any grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo. Kill the fries. Subway rules the school as far as # of healthy options compared to other fast food places. Hope that helps.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

What everyone said is right on. I can't really add anything. But remember to track your progress.. if you have Microsoft Works, it already has pre-made templates for X type of fitness training. Also, if you would like, I'm sure many of us would be interested if you posted your progress every once in a while and kept us up to date.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

So you want to lose 10 pounds of fat per month over then next three months. I would go to a local gym and get a physical assessment, and a personal trainer to show you the proper form. If they're good they'll talk about your eating habits as well.

And if you're really interested in the MAs then just start ASAP. It will hurt at first, more than you might think, but your body will adapt in time. Just keep at it and the hard work will pay off.

Keep in mind that I am fat, and I can't do many sit ups or much serious running yet until I lose some of the weight. I also cannot do push ups. At all.

My advice is to start moving. If you can't do many, then do some. Serious running may be out but you can walk. Start with 20 minutes per day and work up to 45 minutes per day.

I know this seems like a lost or hopeless cause...

Not at all, but it is up to you so start today. Let us know how you do. Your success will be inspiring to others who don't have the courage to ask.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.