• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this good?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the number on the scale is pretty insignificant. What really matters is, are you fit? Do you look healthy? Do you feel good?

If so, then 145 lbs at 5'1" is fine.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

well most people would say that at 5'1'' you should aim for around 105 pounds (100lbs at 5', 5lbs for every inch after that). But that doesn't take into account muscle and breasts (those suckers add up!). Also, where the fat is located makes a difference. So long as it is on your lower body (legs and butt), it should be generally okay. If your fat collects around your upper body (chest, abdomen), that's when you should be concerned.

145 does sound like you could stand to lose some weight, but I couldn't say without seeing you (and then I'm not a doctor). Of course, muscle weighs more than fat. But pure weight/height ratios are usually useless. It's possible to be healthy and fit at just about any size (and I imagine if you're here, you do martial arts, and that's a good way to keep fit).

Beka, those numbers seem a bit unrealistic. Maybe if you were one of those really super skinny people who couldn't lift a small rock, that would make sense.

TheDevilAside is right, the number isn't the real important thing.

When I was in my best shape back when I was really competitive on my mountain bike, I weighed 130 lbs, was 5'3", and had 10.2% body fat. Now I'm not as lean but still consider myself to be in good shape, and I'm about 135 lbs now.

If you feel like you could shed some fat to bring your weight down, you'll need to do a lot of cardio; that is go for loooong bike rides, or looong runs as opposed to short and intense.

It should also be a given that you'll need to eat properly. One advice is to cut your carb intake a bit, but don't completely eliminate the carbs (I hate Atkins). With a lower carb intake, your body will use the fat reserves for energy.

Hope this helps!

If you feel well in yourself and don't feel that you need to drastically lose weight, then don't worry about the numbers. A person can generally tell in themselves if they need to lose weight. Plus, remember muscle weighs more than fat - on a standard weight-to-height ration chart I'm classed as overweight, but that's because I have a lot of muscle for my height (I'm 5'2"). It doesn't really mean that I'm actually overweight - it just means that numbers don't necessarily mean anything and that you have to judge yourself what shape you should be. Plus, you're doing excercise by doing regular MA training, so I shouldn't worry about it too much.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

the number on the scale is pretty insignificant. What really matters is, are you fit? Do you look healthy? Do you feel good?

If so, then 145 lbs at 5'1" is fine.

I don't know. Supposedly, i'm being unrealistic, according to others in my dojo, but i think i could stand improvement, and it couldn't hurt

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

...And i have to eat every four hours cuz of some meds i'm on, so.... it's difficult to figure out what to do

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

Well, obviously the number. =)

But moreso endurance and speed, which i am lacking of in both categories. strength as well. i used to be pretty strong, and then i had a series of injuries that put me out of MA for around 5 months, and off my feet for slightly longer. Most of the muscle i had in my legs deteriorated, and the temporary strength in my arms from crutches is gone, so i'm left not much. =/ that i'd like to improve.

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

Got quick access to a swimming pool? Swimming will work on your endurance, speed and strength all at the same time (to a point). Once you believe you've built a good base for yourself, you can specialize in intensive cardio, calisthenics or weight lifting, etc.

If you don't have a swimming pool nearby, I suggest you start out by eating healthy foods if you don't already, jog or take a bike ride (I'd go with the bike) 3 times a week for 2-10 miles (depends on how much you can handle and whether you're riding your bike or not). Do some calisthenics (pushups, crunches, etc. I'd reccomend finding a good website or book that has a solid inventory of body weight exercises) every other day on weekdays. Then, for the weekends, give yourself a break from all intese exercise.

Here's an example of what it could look like. *Inculding martial arts training*

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Jogging/Bike/Swimming

Tuesday/Thursday: Calisthenics

Saturday/Sunday: Rest

Anyway, this is just one example, there are tons of other methods that will work just as well or better for you, so feel free to solicit everyone's advice.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill