• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Arnis and how long it takes

the question troubles me for quite some time now and is probably very simple :)

i heard many good things about the philipino stick arts, but my question is:

arnis is an art that takes long before you can make use of it, right? i mean, you have to learn to fight with a stick and two sticks and then learn to fight empty handed. what benefit do you have if you learn that first and not use the time to learn, lets say, some kind of kickboxing where u learn techniques that you can use straight away.

who here is practicing arnis btw? i'd like to know whether there are throws and lowkicks in arnis.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

arnis is an art that takes long before you can make use of it, right? i mean, you have to learn to fight with a stick and two sticks and then learn to fight empty handed. what benefit do you have if you learn that first and not use the time to learn, lets say, some kind of kickboxing where u learn techniques that you can use straight away.

who here is practicing arnis btw? i'd like to know whether there are throws and lowkicks in arnis.

Not really longer than other arts. The stick work translates both to other weapons and to empty hands. And besides, you already have a striking art, so it shouldn't be a real problem. And Arnis is an excellent art to introduce flow into TKD.

There are throws and sweeps, primarily low kicks, knee strikes and elbows, joint locks- with and without sticks, Phillipino grappling, single and double stick, short and long weapons, empty hands, ... all depends on the school/instructor as to how much and how they train it.

Freedom isn't free!

are all martial art take long before you can use it effectively? the nature of the art that is Arnis lies in the culture of where it came from, the Filipinos. arnis is designed for bladed weapons. i suggest you go to a qualified instructor of the art. to blend it with high kicks and long range motion is i think a bad idea. it is primarily designed for fighting i mean combat.

why did we surrender lord?

Well I do Kali Arnis Escrima, I am doing it for 3 months now, I train it for 6 hours a week. It's a complete system. I also do Wing Tsun 6h a week. I personal prefere WT. but that's just because I believe in it's effectivness.

What I am trying to say, it's good, real good. Like most MA, you just need to train hard.

Real good indeed. And I think a person can learn less and be more effective than other arts. It's very practical and no-nonsense.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Arnis is blended quite well with any other art. My arnis instructor was a fourth degree under Remy Presas, and was a black belt in Tae Kwon Do as well (although I'm not sure of his dan level in tkd). If that truly is a bad combination, I'd love to see what he could have done with a good combination of arts, because he was incredible.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Arnis is blended quite well with any other art. My arnis instructor was a fourth degree under Remy Presas, and was a black belt in Tae Kwon Do as well (although I'm not sure of his dan level in tkd). If that truly is a bad combination, I'd love to see what he could have done with a good combination of arts, because he was incredible.

oops sorry i may have commented wrongly but to correct it may also be very dependent on the style of arnis the blending i mean. by the way, to the posters, whats the style of arnis your practicing? what are its characteristics? :)

why did we surrender lord?