• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HAPPINESS

How long before you joined your club?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How long before you joined your club?

• Less than 3 lessons?
    • More than 3 lessons?
    • Still haven't joined?

Hey

It's been a while since I came on here.

There's a reason for that (check my other posts out)

I have some GOOD news. I've been allowed to start Trodai Karate.

It's taken just under 10 months but I'm finally going, and what's more, the sensai, Brian, says I am a natural.

I have had three classes so far and am about to join the club fully on wednesday.

I'd like any suggestions that would help me to further myself in my practice. However I know it is not a good idea to get ideas above my station and so would just like basic things.

Also I would like any websites that sell cheap martial arts training gear in the U.K

Thanks

Elliot :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations on finding a club and starting karate! I hope you enjoy it.

As for practice, work on basics (blocks, punches, kicks, stances) at home and kata too, if you have room. A good level of fitness will help you in your karate training, so you could use a few weights at home or even just do simple stretches, sit ups and push ups.

Try these websites for good quality MA stuff in the UK.

Playwell

Meijin UK

Blitz Sports

Cracked Finger

Karate Kid

Paragon Martial Arts

Red Lizard (these don't actually sell martial arts training equipment, but they do a cool range of martial arts jewellery and t-shirts.)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

That's great that you found a dojo that really interests you. Keep with it, and the rewards will come.

Like aefbird said, practice your basic techniques a lot. However, don't just go through the movements as if it is just a basic technique. Try and go through it slow at first and make sure your technique perfectly. For example, for the longest time I used to do a simple punch incorrectly, but I never realized it. I used to punch with my fists square on, so then I kept practing a bit slower to make sure that I'm striking with my first knuckle inline with the rest of my arm. Then I speed it up.

Anyways, hope you have fun!

I'm still trying to figure out the survey here. How long before you're allowed to join a club?

Wow, that seems a lot different than what I'm used to. Around here, and in my dojo, you just have a short interview with the sensei if you want to join and he/she asks a few questions. If the sensei is satisfied with your answers, then you're in. What I personally look for is attitude mostly. If a prospective new students tells me "I want to learn how to kicks some *!", or something similar...I show them the door.

Different strokes......

My personal philosophy is that karate should be available to the masses. I can see if the class is full in the sense that there isn't room for new students, but otherwise, I'll take anybody, regardless of age or physical conditions, as long as they have a good attitude towards learning, and their reasons for being there.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

That's what happens at my dojo - you automatically join when you have your first lesson.

Shorinryu Sensei - your comment about showing folks the door reminds me of a Sandan friend who used to have his own club (had to pack it in due to a knee injury). He told me that one time he got all his students to stand up in front of the others and explain why they wanted to learn karate. After the session all those who gave answers such as "I want to learn how to kick people" or "I want to fight" were asked to leave and not return. He lost about a fifth of his students that night, but he says he won't teach those with a bad attitude, only those who are willing to learn and be taught.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I took the free one month worth of lessons that my club offers 8 years ago, but I couldn't afford it at the time. Almost 4 years ago, I was able to budget the monthly dues and decided to go back. I tried out the free month offer again and signed up after my 3rd class.

Kickboxing it was in a gym I was already a member of it but after the first lesson I decided to keep going.

For Tai chi I had no testing period I just had reduced price for the first three weeks but only if you decide to join.

For karate I'm still enjoing my two-months free offer but I already said to the main instructor that I will surely join.

I went and watched a few classes at some different schools. I went back to the one I thought was the best and joined, having never actually participated in a class. Well, I'm still at it and at the same school.