• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your least Favorite Kata????

shotochem

I have the same problem with Empi but to make it worse we go right down into a crouch (similar to the begining of Empi) on the groin strikes.

Ouch several times over.

Don't ask why we go so low, cant figure it myself.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Hein Nidan (Pinan Shodan<-old way, Pinan Nidan <- New way) it took me the longest time to get this kata! My Sensei says it is the kata that students look at and say "I am never going to get this kata". I agree with him

Funny, we were practicing kata just tonight, and when I got to heian nidan, I did the first motion, and then sensei said, "stop. go back." it was then that I knew it was going to be a long night!

I know that there probably isn't a perfect performance of a kata, especially for beginners like me, but I thought I at least had the basic movements down. Turns out, practically every move/technique I was doing was wrong in some way. Stance too narrow, too long, foot position incorrect. I had it all. What's worse, I am having a hard time fixing it.

I'm gonna go practice it some more tonight... but for now, definitely put me down for heian nidan!

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

I don't think I can say about a kata that i DISLIKE it. I may say that there are katas I find more hard to complete without a screw up or with greater difficulty.

Second I must say I'm astonished to see people practicing ALL the kata at once. in my dojo, you usually work solely on a favourite kata for YEARS on end while paying the other kata much less attention.

In the older days, in my method (Shotokan) , for the first 10 years of practice, students would study ONLY Heian Shodan!!!

I think it's a very beautiful concept.. to first PERFECT the simplest of methods.. and then move on the the more complex ones.

even tho I myself know quite a number of Kata.. the kata which I worked on for the belt gradings (Which are rather brutal in my method) I have learnt to do with extreme nuiances' precision..

I remember my sensei telling me things that were so irritating.. because they were so trivial and small.. like having my back leg a bit more forward during Kokutsu-dachi.. Which is, as he said, a way to "deal and attend more" to my opponent.

But then again, it made me a killer in kumite :P :karate:

Jijutsu Yori Shinjutsu (Spirit before technique)

"..The way, who will walk it clear and pure?"

-Gichin Funakushi, founder of Shotokan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to go with Heian Sandan as a least favorite although there are some good techniques in there that I've grown to like from constant practicing. But I don't know... that one never grew in me for some reason..

This is funny, because I happened to ask all the students in class their least favorite hyung. More than half the people who knew Pyung Ahn Samdan (Heian 3) said it was their least favorite form.

I wonder what they'd say if I told them that it was one of our instructor's favorite forms. :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I did a quick poll with the kids at karate class once and Heian Sandan came out least favourite, closely followed by Heian Godan.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Earlier I said I didn't like Heian Nidan. I have changed my mind (there is a tie), we just went over Heian Sandan, and I could not remember it for my life. It seems to be the hardest kata for me to remember. :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

My least favorite kata is the one I work on every day, week upon week, month upon month. At the same time that kata is also my favorite. There's so much to learn from a single kata. It's amazing and wonderful. It can also be really gueling and boring. When that happens I try to make my best kata ever, and suddenly it's my favorite again.