• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why people are losing interest in Karate?

Jade

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the demo, Jade - I'm sure you'll do fine! :)

Thanks!

I'll try my best to show the kata with a strong spirit.

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

Something else I thought of. Since I started Karate training eight months ago I have seen a number of people come and watch one lesson, then wolla they buy a Gi and think they will become Karate experts in one month. People should spend more time evaluating a style of MA by doing a few lessons first before jumping in and buying all the gear. I checked out three Dojo’s and trained for four lessons before I bought a Gi.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

A common mistake indeed. The fact those who train and are watched move so nice and look great in their outfit, doesn't mean the one looking at them is gonna be a genius in Karate the soon he takes the Karategi. A thorough look and some weeks of training are necesary in order to make sure that's what you really want and this is the path to be followed. Buying a gi from the first lesson is a waste of money. You can't wear it on the street and the equipment is not that cheap. So, watch, try and afterwards buy :)

I trained for ages in karate without buying a gi because I couldn't afford one at the time. My instructor didn't mind - I'd explained the situation to him and he was OK about it. I only got my gi because I needed it to take my first grade in.

I think that the schools that offer a so-called 'free gift' of a uniform are helping to perpetuate the belief that wearing a gi from day 1 makes a person a great karateka. We sometimes train without gi's in my dojo - it doesn't suddenly make us any worse. Conversely, when we put them back on again they don't give us 'super karate' skills (lol, I wish they did, though! :lol:).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Just the same things we do in a normal lesson as you said:

Since we are only the advanced belts to do the demostration we were planning to start with some basic kihon techniques(blocks, punches and kicks)...

Two things to remember IMO:

1.. The KISS rule (Keep It Simple Stupid)... I like the ideas behing you demo - just dont go overboard and try and be too smart... it can backfire!

2.. Keep going... most people wont know if you mess Kanku Dai up so if you do - keep on going as if you havent :D

We sometimes train without gi's in my dojo - it doesn't suddenly make us any worse.

I am considering this for "self-defense" lessons... make it seem more real, kicking with trainers on etc is not the same as without! Control is needed to make sure there are no injuries but I think I can make it work.

when we put them back on again they don't give us 'super karate' skills

No... but the snapping noise it makes does make you sound like you are a super karateka :lol:

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

We sometimes train without gi's in my dojo - it doesn't suddenly make us any worse.

I am considering this for "self-defense" lessons... make it seem more real, kicking with trainers on etc is not the same as without! Control is needed to make sure there are no injuries but I think I can make it work.

when we put them back on again they don't give us 'super karate' skills

No... but the snapping noise it makes does make you sound like you are a super karateka :lol:

Andy.

lol, a clean gi and plenty of starch when ironing makes a person sound like they can punch a hole in the Empire State Building. heheh, a neat trick for sounding really great at gradings!

We often train without gi's to cover self defense aspects of karate. Techniques that a person thinks they can do in a gi and with bare feet suddenly become 100 times more difficult in jeans and trainers or a skirt and smart shoes (and that's just the men! :lol:). Plus, it's good to get away from the gi occasionally IMO. A gi does not make a karateka.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Sorry there was a word in there I didnt understand - "ironing" :P

Us blokes dont understand how they work you know :lol: (only joking ;))

My gi is like cardboard (heavyweight) and takes far too much effort for the rewards... roll your gi up (saw this in a book years ago and its brilliant) and the creases drop out :)

Anyone know of any traditional groups train in T-shirts rather than Gi tops during summer? Seems a reasonable idea when the dojo is 100 degrees F and students are melting... the only reason I can see for a Gi top is when you are being thrown etc and it needs to be strong enough to not rip apart.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

2.. Keep going... most people wont know if you mess Kanku Dai up so if you do - keep on going as if you havent :D

Hehe...that's true...but i'm not sure if there're wont be any katatekas to see the demo...i mean.....my former instructor with his devoted students...... :oops: ....damn...he never accepted when i left his dojo...

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the thing about Karate is that to achieve anything of it at all it must require a total modification of one's lifestyle and a lifelong commitment to it's art.

I have joined my dojo 6 years ago.. and I remember at first I really didn't take it serious because i had other things that interested me at that time which now look very futile.. and I remember when I was about 16 it finally dawned to me that what makes me a real, strong, focused and advanced person is when I practice the Karate.. long and hard.. without any self-indulgence or mercy.

It's then when I started practicing more.. and MORE.. until I started practicing like mad.

Many karateka left during my time in Karate because they couldn't commit to something they wished to view as a quick course for self-defence..

Which , as all of you may know.. is NOT what Karate's about.

Jijutsu Yori Shinjutsu (Spirit before technique)

"..The way, who will walk it clear and pure?"

-Gichin Funakushi, founder of Shotokan.