• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee Surgery or Not ?

EvilTed

So I got an MRI of the knee that's been bothering me for like 6 months or more and the Doc says I've split the meniscus.

I'm scheduled to go for surgery in around 10 days but now I'm worried because an Orthopedic Surgeon at our dojo tells me that the risk of infection is high with this type of operation and if it gets into the bone (I forget the technical term for it) it's a real bad thing :(

What should I do - get the surgery and say to hell with it or take the pain for the rest of my days :(

Osu!

ET

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I find it hard to belive that the risk of infection is high, why would it be higher than any other operation?

But what do i know, speak to your Doctor if you are worried, I dont think anyone on here can give you the correct medical advice unless they are a doctor. We would just be guessing.

Seize the day!

Mart has a point. My student had knee surgery recently, and just got back to training. She had to have 1/2 her miniscus removed. Her knee feels better, and all she has to do right now is strenghten the muscles around her operated knee to provide even more stability. Otherwise, she's fine, and taking back to training at her pace.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I had an op for a right medial meniscus tear and take my owird for it, go for it. I had the operation last October and was into full time karate and gym training by january this year.

There is zero pain after the operation and I had zero side effects.

The pre-op injection they give you is the best experience I have ever had!!

Best of luck and just take it easy and your time afterwards. Don't be in any hurry to push yourself and you will be fine.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

I think you should listen to your doc. One of the mods here on KF just had knee surgery, and she's doing fine. Don't let the Orthopedic Surgeon guy at your dojo scare you. One of my old instructors also had double knee surgery, and he didn't have any infections (beside for MA and he couldn't kick while teaching for 6 weeks).

I will move this to Health and fitness so you can get more advice :)

Laurie F