• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

bored kids

Is there anything new you could bring to the class to spark their interest. I've been taking a class of kids occasionally who are put into karate while their parents go in the gym and none of them are particularly interested in it. I brought a kick shield and some focus pads the other week and they really loved it and now when I see them outside the class always ask me if I'll bring the stuff again next time I do the class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the reason that their parents have given for the kids coming to karate is that they want them to learn self defence. They simply want them to get to black belt, because they feel that blackbelt level is equal to being good at karate (which isn't necessarily so but they don't think agree).

Do you have the option of using another instructor to split the kids class with you? You could try bargaining with the kids that you will let them do more freestyle with another instructor if they do some of the kihon/kata with you. :idea:

I agree about asking the kids what they want to do... it may be that something like judo etc would be more fun for them and a BB is a BB as far as the parents are concerned :lol:

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

I agree with everyone. I think what i would do is incorporate activities with the MA. Remember if they think you are not having fun then they wont either. Energy is contagious. Some activities i would do is maybe play team dodge ball (this incorporates team work) explain to them you are teaching them reflexes. Another activity I like to play is an obstacle coarse. something like- jumping over targets then at the end maybe a jump side kick. Just something exciting. Hey, hope my advice works.

Still I wouldn't turn the class into a kindergarden circus. They came to karate to learn karate, not to play around. If they can't focus .. there's the door. They may come back when mature enough.

In the problem with ththose kids. Maybe you could manage to expell them on disciplinary issues .. something like that. Or just plainly REFUSE to train them. Say they are distracting class .. something like that. Don't know .. it's not that simple :-?

Giving away belts is not an option. Quickly promoting them is disrespectful to your art.

It is not the parents decision for the kids to take a a martial art. Its not up to the parents. Its the childs decision. If the child does not want to take a martial art, it is your responsibility to respect that childs decision, aside from whatever the parents want.

This isn't school, college, baseball or soccer. Martial arts has a ton of mentalities behind it...honor, integrity, perseverence, self control, indomitable spirit, humility, etc. Children that are forced through the program have a very high chance of ignoring everything that is important about the art. They will end up disrespecting it, not caring for it, and not advancing or applying themselves. Its just not an acceptable situation for anyone.

If it were my situation, I would discontinue teaching these kids.

As for giving the parents a reason? Who needs a reason, its your school. Tell them that you don't believe in forcing children to take martial arts. Its not for everyone, and to be a respectable martial artist, you must truly love your art. Offer to the children that when they are older, if they decide they would like to return, the door is open. But they have to truly want to do it.

Well....I "made" my kids stick to it when they were"bored" of TKD because I knew what the prize was and realized that they were too young and immature to understand. They have all thanked me, on numerous occasions, for not letting them quit because the lessons they learned and the challenges they overcame made them the confindent and successful youg people they are today. I am hopeful that they will return the favor to their kids one day.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Well....I "made" my kids stick to it when they were"bored" of TKD because I knew what the prize was and realized that they were too young and immature to understand. They have all thanked me, on numerous occasions, for not letting them quit because the lessons they learned and the challenges they overcame made them the confindent and successful youg people they are today. I am hopeful that they will return the favor to their kids one day.

8)

Yes, quitting is one thing. Forcing them to BEGIN martial arts is another - especially when you have set an end in mind (ie: they can quit at black belt, or when they turn 16) - its just not the right thing to do.

Can you give them responsibility? Have they been there long enough to know the warm up routine? Could they lead the warm up exercises? Are there any new students in the class? Can they be ‘responsible’ for teaching the first form or a series of punching and kicking drills (under your watchful eye)? I agree, martial arts are not for everyone, so maybe they don’t belong there. But from my experience with bored kids, giving them some responsibility, not a punishment is what turns them around.

HTH

Well, I generally do play some MA-related games in my beginners class, to teach things like team work, leadership and also to help develop their gross-motor skills.

JEM618, that's a good idea - I might try that.

I can't punish the kids for wrongdoing - because they don't. They are always polite and well-behaved in class; they're just bored. It's not my ultimate decision to tell them not to come to class any longer - that's up to my sensei.

I think I'm just gonna have to have a word with their parents again; maybe suggest that they take kickboxing, seen as the kids tend to prefer kumite to anything else. I don' think that it was their parents who forced them to start, I think it's more of a case that the children don't like karate now they've joined the club. Well, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I do think that it's unfair for their parents to force these children to keep coming to lessons when they don't want to. Oh well, such is life. You gotta take the rough with the smooth!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 3 weeks later...

i suggest that you seperate the bored kids. whenever im teaching and there is a kid that doesnt want to participate i pair him up with someone who is really into martial arts. the bored kid will feed off the other's energy. you might find that when seperated them they are into it and just act bored to be "cool". that has also happened at my school. the younger sibling will act bored until big brother or sister isnt there and then they dig it.

Those who are skilled in fighting do not become angered. Those who are skilled in winning do not become afraid. Thus, the wise win before the fight while the ignorant fight to win.