• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first karate lesson

italian_guy

Hi, at the end I decided to quit my kickboxing lesson and start with Karate,

I found a university goju ryu dojo very nice and inexpensive (I have a promotional 2 months free lessons) so yesterday I started. The first day I was expecting to stay in front of a mirror with some senior student or instructor to learn the basics, instead since the main instructor knew that I have a one year experience with kickboxing he wanted me to spar the first day so I did 3 point sparring light-contact-to-body no-contact-to-face matches, it was a little strange for me to stop at every hit but it was fun anyway. My concept of light contact was heavier then their concept and somebody complained but at the end everything was fine.

I just wanted to share this little experience with you all.

Bye (oh sorry) Oss. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hehe, it's spelled "Osu". Glad that you are enjoying Karate. I have heard a lot of good things about Goju Ryu, and it seems that a lot of people I've met who do it are all very nice and humble.

As far as the hard contact, it's probably going to take some getting used too, to lighten up your techniques. Your instructor is probably going to have to remind you a half dozen times to lighten up :)

Glad you're enjoying your new training in Goju Ryu.

2 months worth of free lessons - that's a good deal! :up:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hmm, you may prefer Kyokushin if you're more used to heavier contact.

Maybe some of the kyokushin fans here might be able to provide more info?

Hehehe, I was thinking the same, but kept my mouth shut because he seems to enjoy the style that he is doing right now.

Though yes, in Kyokushin, it's not too often you will be told to lighten the contact, unless of course you are doing something stupid.

i used to do kickboxing before i went into shotokan karate and it was very different as kickboxing is alot more bouncy and shotokan karate is very stiff,so anyway good luck with your future lessons. :D

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

Hmm, I wouldn't say shotokan is very stiff - its only as stiff as someone makes it. I do Shotokan and I've fought against other martial arts styles before and I wouldn't have said that Shotokan was particularly any stiffer than any of the other styles. It's just different. Every style has its differences from others; they just take time getting used to them when you switch from one to another.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I also used to do Kickboxing before I started my Karate. I found with Kickboxing easier simply because of taking hits and waiting for that right moment. With my competition Karate, when you see an opportunity, you have to take it.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

By the way, what made you leave kickboxing?

Kickboxing was my first martial art and make me fall in love with MAs but after some time you realize that it is mostly a martial sport and if you don't go to actual matches it loses some of its meaning. Since I'm too old to compete (43 in two weeks) I wanted something that aside "jitsu" has also "do" side.

I also used to do Kickboxing before I started my Karate. I found with Kickboxing easier simply because of taking hits and waiting for that right moment. With my competition Karate, when you see an opportunity, you have to take it.

Yes it looks like a different way to fight in karate you have to fast (to take the opportunity) and cautious (not to give opportunity to the opponent) while in kickboxing you need to be more aggressive.

Hmm, you may prefer Kyokushin if you're more used to heavier contact.

Maybe some of the kyokushin fans here might be able to provide more info?

It is not that I would like more contact just that I'm used to have more contact and I just have to light it up.

used to do kickboxing before i went into shotokan karate and it was very different as kickboxing is alot more bouncy and shotokan karate is very stiff,so anyway good luck with your future lessons.

No, the way they move while sparring it is not much different from the way we moved in kickboxing... they use high stances and kickboxing-like footwork. I would not say it is stiffer.

Hehe, it's spelled "Osu".

Thanks for the correction. :karate: