• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This has to do a bit about tournement fighting, but I decided to post in this forum because I think it has more to do with the internal arts.

Naturally, I am a very energetic and hyper person. I'm aggressive, and in class I always give 100% and I'm known to have a lot of power behind my techniques.

My biggest problem comes from internally or within. I have a very hard time calming myself down when I need too. I'm always a "go" "go "go" kind of person. It's causing me problems because when I'm not calm I tend to react before I think. That is I often times mess up my technique or my kata.

The worst thing that results from this is in tournement fighting. Before my match, I'm always moving around a lot, jumping, getting the blood flowing. However the problem is, I am anything but calm. My mind is racing, I'm preety nervous, and when I step onto that matt and fight... I go full boar without thinking about what I'm doing. Everything we learn in class I don't apply like the combos we've learned. I fight aggressive but I don't fight smart.

I need help. I don't know how to slow my brain down a bit, and clear my mind of everything but the task at hand. I want to fight a smart fight. I want to be able to think about everything I need to do and step onto the matt and do it.

What does everyone else recommend as ways to calm myself down, espeically before my tournement.

Many thanks to anyone who responds.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal thoughts are that you should first determine 'why' you are bahaving that way. Although i'm working with insufficient information here, it looks to me like fear is the issue you're struggling with.

Fight or flight is the determinate of how someone handles a situation, in relation to the threats posed, when fear is the overriding emotion. In this case, you aren't given the option of flight, but it seems your body is saying, "run away." Then, when you are toss into the fray, you are 'fighting' your 'nature' and diving headfirst into the confrontation.

In short, it looks as if you are fighting three fights, not merely one... or two. You are fighting your opponent, your fear-induced adrenalin, AND your inclination to run.

There's a start. Understanding where you are coming from. The why of the beasts within you that you must learn to 'work with,' rather than fight head-on.

Assuming my assumption is correct, here are some things you could try, not all of which should be applied simultaneously:

• Easiest - Jog outside or around the competition area. Release some of that 'flight' energy (not my best recommendation),

Less Easy - Rather than jumping around and moving, practice techniques and katas while waiting. Use your energies to strengthen your focus on 'smart-fighting,'

Somewhat Hard - Turn yourself off. Sounds harder than it actually is. All you need to do is think calm thoughts and sit down. Put ear plugs on if it will help. Bring your mind into a state of peace.

Hard - Think of your opponent as your little brother, even before you enter the mat. Think of 'schooling' him, but also be aware you don't want to underestimate him... as that could be embarrassing. ;)

Harder - Watch others fighting, especially those that you may eventually have to fight against. Focus on their weaknesses and their strengths... attempt to evaluate them. By doing this, you bring yourself into 'contemplative-mode,' rather than combative-mode,

Hardest - Still water, stone mountain

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Maybe if you fight like that is because you can afford it. I think we are putting everything of what we actually are in a fight. If your nature is aggressive you will fight aggressively if you are calm and relaxed you will fight that way.

Now the question is are you proficient in doing things that way because if you are proficient it is better you don't change too much, I mean thinking ahead and not rushing is always good but if you tend to fight aggressively and you succeed ok keep doing that way. If you are not proficient maybe it is worthwhile to make the effort to calm down and think more at what you are doing.

White Warlock, you pose some good questions. I never really sat down and thought if I am perhaps scared.

I spent some time thinking about this after reading your post, and I'm preety sure that the fear doesn't come from the fear of being hurt or even the fear of losing. But I do know that I fear that I will perform poorly. Perhaps I put too much pressure on myself especially since I just recently graduated to 10th Kyu and I have only done two tournements. For me though, we spend so much time practicing things in class so I go to these tournements with a certain expectation of myself.. and I know that I fear that I won't perform to my expectations... so yes I get nervous and I seize up. I have no problem losing, but if I lose, I want to know that even though I lost, I did what I wanted to do. However I always try my best, maybe that's all I can hope for and the rest will come in time.

I really really loved your suggestions though, I thought they were great... and I will try working on them. I think they can be applied to everyday life, because I know that somedays I really need to slow down my brain.

So thank you. :)

There are a lot of ways to meditate. A good one for you here is to relax, clear your mind of the garbage we all carry around, and focus on relaxing more. Inventory your body for tension several times. Start with an inventory of large muscle groups. Next, inventory smaller groups. Keep working down to the smallest groups of muscles you can identify. Whenever you find tension, stop and allow the muscles to relax. This is important, don't try to force it. Concentrate also on your breathing, keeping it deep, slow and even. Inventory yourself internally, feel what your organs are doing, how you feel spiritually and emotionally. Don't worry if your mind wanders, just bring it gently back on track. You may even have a tendency to nodd of to sleep. That's ok, just sort of bring yourself gently back up on line. Get used to the state of total relaxation and deep breathing.

Now, before you fight, tell yourself to breath deeply, and allow yourself to enter this relaxed state. When the fight is about to start, bring yourself up to a level of guarded relaxation. Your mind will be calm, focused. You are not tense, but your relaxed state is not flacid either- your muscles are ready to go into motion with lightning speed and power, but harnessed/ controled for the tournament fight. "Still water, stone mountain" was good advice.

Freedom isn't free!

Here's a simpler answer. You gave it to me yourself. You have only been in 2 tournaments. Don't pressure yourself. Give it some time. You need more experience in the tournament setting is all. In time, with a few more tournaments under your belt, you'll realize that a loss isn't going to kill you. Remember, for every winner in a match there is a loser. Even the best tournament fighters have some losses on their record somewhere. Relax and have fun. Everything else will sort itself out.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• 4 months later...

When you walk onto the mat or into the ring, do not think of the outcome of the match. Simply let yourself flow. While fighting, try not to be concerned with the kata or technique itself, as that will slow you...just let your true mind take over. You know the movements that are best for you deep inside, they will be the most effective in the heat of the moment.

Remember, "It hits all by itself."

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

I like what WW posted.

Simular to a writing/preparation class I have for students that were to attend a tournament.

Actually, for those students, we would meet for special "classes" the night before, and the hours before the tournament. (Besides working on things pertaining weeks before).

I would show them videos of my other students at other tournaments.

It comes down to the short of it "nerves"?