• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite Goju Kata

kotegashiNeo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I dont do Goju ryu but I do pratice the naha style of kata in shito ryu. I would have to say that Shisochin is my favorite Naha style of kata. I like it for its unique spear hand thrusts as well as the explosion of power you feel when running this kata. It is one of the few kata whee there are no closed fist stricks in it very unique.

I think that Seiunchin has some of the best stop a person in there tracks bunaki of any kata. It is a very powerfull kata aswell.

I dont have a Naha style kata that is giveing me any trouble as of yet however I have not learned the kata kururunfa yet so Im sure I am in for it.

Ron Davis

Sandan (Motobu ha Shito ryu)

• 1 month later...

I like Shisochin. When not in class I practice it slowly and fluidly like tai-chi. The open handed techniques lend themselves well to the feeling.

I enjoy performing Seipai, such a lovely kata.

Sanchin and Tensho do teach you the most and their methods will link into all your other kata.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

im happy to see that there are other people who study the beutiful style of Okinawan Goju Ryu . . to telsun I also practice all of my katas really slowly like tai-chi to look for mistakes and prope technique . something i was taught by my intructor :) . we should chat sometime :)

Hello Mawashigeri60 it would be great to have a little chat :)

When I practice Shisochin like tai-chi I mean with the flowing, continous, no tension, etc moves that a tai-chi practitioner would do. I have done a little tai-chi and feel that this kata allows me to feel the right feeling.

Like you, I also practice my other kata slowly to pick out error but that tai-chi feeling isn't prevelant.

I am a member of GKI (Goju-ryu Karate International). It is quite a small association lead by Shihan James Rousseau, a very early student of Morio Higaonna (1966) and one of the founder members of the IOGKF.

It would be great if all you Goju guys visited my homepage, it'd be great to see you there :wink:

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

You get the tai chi feeling in shisochin because there is a movement from tai chi in it called partition wild horses main the movements are almost identical. I tend to have the most problems with seisan but I love Kururufa it just feels like I am learning something new everytime. We do jundokan goju love it but have trained with some mebukan guys and like the way they do kata as well.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

I always thought Teruo Chinen (or how is it spelled) was the highest ranking with 6 or 7 dan on Jundokan.

Anyway how can you love to do saifa, i personaly hate that one. I love the Gekisai (spelling) and the Seiushi (the one after saifa, i never was good at remenbering japonese names) cause of those defences in horse stance, one looks so cool doing it.

I also love doing one we stole from Shinto-Ryu , the one where the first movement is a defence to the head while in nekoachidachi (cat stand) and then procedes with front kick , punch , lateral kick, P, side kick punch, and so on and is done always in a straight line, its named Karikata, or something liek it.