• advertisement_alt

Traditional vs Modern

xmusashi17

Which type of martial art is better on a real life situation  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of martial art is better on a real life situation

• Traditional
    • Modern

So when it comes time to defend myself I set upon that person a terrible force of will that only comes from the visualization of properly practicing kata.

Visualisation and application are 2 different things.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I like traditional because in kata I visualize doing horrible things to my attacker. This is crucial because it creates strength of spirit and a bloodlust that if fully unleashed in combat would overwhelm your average joe. That is not something you can aquire in sparring because you must maintain a level of respect for that person. My attacker in kata dies everytime and I kick him while he is down then I pick him up so I can hit him some more. So when it comes time to defend myself I set upon that person a terrible force of will that only comes from the visualization of properly practicing kata.

visualization is no good if you can't actually DO it...

True. it's not so much the art but the artist...

You can train in the greatest style in the world but if you or, more importantly, your teacher suck then there's not a lot of point in training.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

So how do practice neck breaks and nikuite to the throat? I train with strength in mind and many variations at my comand many techniques like cross arm lock and triangle chokes. I knew someone out there was gonna miss the point altogether and I am not suprised that one of you is a BJJ practioner. What I am talking about is stength of spirit that I gain from kata it is like nothing else I experienced. I trained muay thai and BJJ and it is similar to the spirit aquirred from randori or ring work but much more animalistic not to say more practical just more intense.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

All Sevenstar and I said was:

Theres a DIFFERENCE between visualisation and application.

You can visualise all you want but unless you can do the techniques against a resisting opponent, it means nothing.

Traditional arts are not ineffective in real life - it's just that the learning curve for "reality training" is much more shallow that arts such as Krav Maga (by around two years on avarage).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I went modern, as at my dojo we learn quite a few self-defence techniques. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but do the more traditional styles such as Shotokan or Kyokushin etc incorporate modern self-defence techniques into their curriculum?

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

I think it depends also on how long you trained.

I think below let's say 2 years of practice modern martial arts are better for self defence. Because you practice fewer strikes (just the one needed)do more conditioning, do not learn forms. For the long term a traditional martial art (if the teacher and the student are good) can give you also great self defence skills but I think it takes more time.