• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first choice?

Well, coung nhu was my first style, but I was only in first grade, so that didn't last long. But I started Shorin Ryu when I was 13, and now I'm sixteen, so I count that as my first style, since I never made it past white belt in Coung nhu.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Topic!! When I was a young lad I wanted to take anything. I didnt care, but since we didnt have the money I couldnt. Then I remember seeing a place that taught....aww crap....whats it called.... :-? ....not kickboxing.....muay thai thats it. I wanted to take that, but couldnt, then I moved to oklahoma, and wanted to take kung fu, then karate and karate is what im taking. I want to keep with it and also take kung fu and juijitsu some day!

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Well, coung nhu was my first style, but I was only in first grade, so that didn't last long. But I started Shorin Ryu when I was 13, and now I'm sixteen, so I count that as my first style, since I never made it past white belt in Coung nhu.

Cuong Nhu rules! Try and get back into it if you can!!! There's a lot of Cuong Nhu schools down in Florida (it got its start down there), I'm sure there's a good one! I'm glad to see that there's another person here who has at least *heard* of it and done it (however few times you went!)! yay! represent!

my first choices were Kyuk Too Ki and Kung Fu San Soo. Sadly they r available almost nowhere in Germany. Muay Thai and Krav Maga would have been 2nd choice. since none of them is available in my area too, i choose my current dojang because the instructors are very nice and able and they have their own building - some of the other MA schools in the area train in the gym of local schools, which aint so convinient as an own dojang :)

turned out that tkd is kinda cool as well and i enjoy training very much, but i'm still not completely satisfied.

I started with Kickboxing, and then (since January) I took Tai chi chuan. I'm doing both now but even if my love with martial art started practicing Kickboxing doing a more traditional martial art which is taught as a 'way' and not only a fighting skill opened to me a new dimention.

Now I would like to replace kickboxing with another traditional martial art

so I think that soon I will start karate (probably in september).

When I was younger I used to do Kuk Sool Won. I got out of it because I started becoming very competitive in downhill mountain bike racing.

Now I am in Kyokushin Karate. Both are very good styles, but I enjoy Kyokushin a lot more.

Kuk Sool Won is my first ever martial arts... and will be my only martial arts because the curriculum is so complete.

Striking, kicking, grappling, joint locks, throws, pressure point attacks, hyung, weapons, healing techniques... Hmm... I'm sure I've left something out. :D

I feel very fortunate that I made the right choice in martial arts for me the first time.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I saw the Karate Kid movies in the 80's. Ever since, I wanted to try some sort of karate, but my parents couldn't afford it. Then I got into music (almost forgetting the idea of martial arts).

Then almost 4 years ago, I had a job as a campus cop, and I wanted to learn a bit of self defense. I looked around. I found a Tang Soo Do dojang. It was the only one that treated me with respect when I walked in (instead of a $ sign). I didn't know much about MA at the time, but I knew that this one was a good choice by the welcome I got. It was kind of a hybrid style, but great for self defense. I still train there when I visit NJ for long periods of time. To be totally honest, my heart is still with TSD and that dojang. I wish I could move back, but that's not possible right now.

My second choice was Hapkido. In NJ I was going to take it. But here in NY, there isn't any Hapkido (or TSD) dojangs :( I settled with TKD (not that TKD is bad, it just wasn't one of my choices at the time when I moved up here). But it really impressed me. The traditional version is pretty good.

Laurie F

:x Always Shop around!!!!! You have to decide what your in it for. If its for fun then it doesn't matter, once the people are great. If it's for self-defense or fighting then u definitely have to shop around because many of the traditional schools and styles are pretty useless when it come to actual combat. By shopping around then u realise which styles u prefer and which teachers u click better with. I spent many years doing Korean styles and I loved it. But then I discovered Muy Thai and wished I had switched over earlier. Look Around :-?

Donkey

How come people assume that a traditional style doesn't teach you to be a good fighter?

Kyokushin is a traditional style, and many people support the idea that the Kyokushinka's are great fighters.

Not that it's a big deal for me. I do it mostly because it's fun and I love the mental and physical challenge, and I'm liking tournements.