• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

pylometrics

I'm somewhat against jump squats and weighted jumps, due to the stress they put on the knees.

Understandable. You don't perform them daily - no more than twice a week, in addition to your normal training. As far as weighted jumps DON'T DO THEM. Don't run or kick with ankle weights, either.

Lifting weights trains you to lift weights, not jump higher. You have to jump to train to jump.

lifting weights can help your explosive power. It's not the only avenue you want to take if you are trying to increase your vertical jump though.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Let me specify: doing regular squats will not help your vertical leap. It will help your squats (and quad size). However, if you do JUMP squats, which involves JUMPING, then you can expect a reasonable improvement in your vertical. You have to lift with explosive movements in order to gain explosive power. :)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• 4 weeks later...

You can kick with leg weights on if you do slow, deliberate kicks and practice holding your leg out. That will greatly improve your leg strength in muscle specifics (the muscles used for that specific kick).

kg

I remember one week of karate where we did an awful lot of TKD style jumping and jumping spinning kicks (sweat city). The folliwing weekend I could touch the rim of a basketball hoop (something I never could do before).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."