• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Conditioning: Check this out...

Rich_2k3

I think its better to have a target amount when doing my calsinthetics, that way I have to reach it no matter what. Working to failure doesnt really mean on a physically level but on a mental level, its all about willpower and if u can push it that little bit more, if ur tired or not in the mood, ur reps will greatly reduce because u simply cant be bothered.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting read. It's defnitily right about the running...there's a lot of evidence in support of high intensity interval training for all sorts of purposes.

Surprised not to see squats in the split though.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

It's defnitily right about the running...there's a lot of evidence in support of high intensity interval training for all sorts of purposes.

Interval training yes, but I don't consider the following quote to be interval training and I would suggest that the "evidence" that you refer to is not conducted this crudely.

Distance is the key. Three miles not less, you do not need more. When you run, you should run as hard as you can until you can't. Then walk.

Interval training in running is calculated, measured, and takes into consideration working your cardio at an accelerated rate. Running until you can't doesn't quite fit the bill. For a good description of how to run for a variety of reasons go to:

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51,FF.html

Here's another link for an interval workout for boxing:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ss11.htm

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• 5 months later...

"...training to muscular failure (concentrically, eccentrically or isometrically) is NOT the necessary stimulus for growth"

"failure effort may prove to be an 'unreasonable' burden on the nervous (both central and peripheral) and signaling systems (primarily the T system). Time must then be given for the recovery and supercompensation processes to take place."

(source: http://www.engr.mun.ca/~butt/training/failure.html)

However, this is mostly referring to failure with heavy weight lifting (with the goal of hypertrophy). Heavy weights are more taxing on the nervous system, however, so it (failure) may very well be effective for endourance.

If anyone has a link to a study regarding the effects of failure on endourance, I'd be interested to see it.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate