• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help get Karate in the Olympics!!!

Rich_2k3

i think they should replace TKD with an all styles competition. let those that want to go in go in. I watched some olypic TKD and it didnt exactly look traditional.

they should use the all style continous sparring method IMO.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karate in the Olympics... Its not a bad idea i think it would give the world a chance to see what Karate is all about.

there are a lot of people out there who have no idea as to what Karate is all about.

I understand the fact that KArate is Sacred to many and including it iin the olympics might damage its reputation

buti firmly believe that there are also positive sides to this initiative...

One thing i've learnt through Karate is that we should be openminded.... Attacks can come from anyway you must see every angle

The Ultimate Time Keeper

I think if the operation is done correctly it will be not a bad idea. Olympic games are a large promotional vehicle and this may attract people to the art in all its sides.

In my dojo we have two classes the traditional class and the competitor class, the traditional class is for everybody and the other is for point sparring competitors. However the curriculum is not as separate as it seems, we (I'm in the traditional class) also do sparring not as much as them but we do, and also they do kihon, kata and all the traditional part of the curriculum (not as much as we do but they still do).

I think that the popularity that may arise from the olympics may bring people also to the traditional side, especially if they have an age where you cannot enter in an open competition. :karate:

BTW why this thread is not longer a poll :-? :-?

BolbOn,

Good post. I am with you. If they use the all style contineous sparring method and incorporate TKD into it they will bo doubt attract a bigger audience, as well. They may use contact (with protective equipment - if they are worried about the safety) as they do with Taekwondo. They can call it "Karate and all Tradititional Striking arts" (too long?) or "Karate all Styles", or something like that.

I still have my worries about karate becoming an olympic sport, but if it is going to happen, then I hope that it is done in the best way possible.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

I don't even remember if I posted on this topic before, and my opinion is probably different. Anyway, anything you put into the olympics is going to become a sport and not traditional. TKD, Judo, Boxing, Wrestling, are all 'watered down' in the olympics.