• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which kick do you rely on defensively

Opponent Advances. Gut has an opening. Which would you do?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Opponent Advances. Gut has an opening. Which would you do?

• Defensive Sidekick
    • Defensive Frontkick
    • Forget kicks! Down comes my fist!

Personally, I rely on the sidekick because I spar in a generally sideways stance, and my sidekick is more powerful than my front. What are your thoughts?

Dang - the poll didn't include "Other Kick" option that I added! :kaioken:

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It depends on whether I am multiple sparring or what type of opponent I am fighting. If I am multiple sparring, I use straight line kicks to keep opponents back. If I am fighting an agressive fighter, I will use more of a sidekick, which can be modified into a sneaky back kick when they think they have me on the run. I will also use a front to the belly fake and modify it to a roundhouse or hook to the head/chest.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

What the heck, I said "Defensive Sidekick", just because it is a good kick to interupt his footwork and possibly dammage his base, and a little harder for him to react to. But, I'm assuming that you subscribe to the tennet that 'evefry defense is an offense', since I don't think a fighter should get into a defensive mindset. And, if I do need to 'defend' with a kick, I keep it low and fast.

Freedom isn't free!

I rely on my front kick. Mostly because I lack of lateral flexibility and my side kick is not so good.

... but I'm working on it. :)

I'm not good at kicking, if I kick during a sparring match, I have just lowered my percentage of winning by 80. I'm working on it, though. But I prefer lower kicks, or sidekicks.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Thwe question was...what defensive kick do I use, and I marked front snap kick. I have a 36" inseam and a size 13 foot, so it's pretty good about keeping people back or nailing them when the come in. Roundhouse to the groin also works well for me. Both are using the front foot, not the back.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"