• Okinawan based
    • Chinese based
    • Korean based
    • Grappling Art
    • Boxing Art
    • Other (Capoeira, Silat etc)
    • Not studying an art yet
    • Not studying an art yet

I'm just curious what style everyone is. I'm surprised I haven't seen a post like this. If you have studied multiple styles, just list the one that you are studying now.

If you pick other, describe for us :)

KarateForums.com Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i study everything i can get my hands on, i work with the military so i travel alot and get to experience many different styles....and i take what i like and toss what i dont, i cross train hard core.

i started off with boxing, and moodukkwon taekwondo, then went to asahi ryu karate, shotokan karate, kickboxing and 13 weapons system, then combat hapkido, then kuksool won, then kaju kenbo, ninpo budo taijutsu, moodukkwon tang so do, itf and wtf taekwon do, then some kyokushin karate....that about sums it about, i have done alot of training and practicing with individual trainers outside of a class for judo, juijutsu, wrestling, aikido, capoera, tiger and mantis kungfus and a little bit of this and that.....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I picked Chinese based, because my base is American Kenpo. While AK has principles, concepts and moves from a lot of other arts, its primary roots are Chinese.

No matter what else I study, I allways bring it back to Kenpo. The stance I use in Arnis is a neutral bow (AK's default stance) turned out on a 45' axis, and my footwork is Kenpo. I drive my Taiji instructor nutts because, while I can start out yielding and soft, I almost allways inadvertantly revert to blasting their backsides away with Kenpo. And I take the TKD one steps and forms, tear them down and rebuild them on AK. In fact, I've been toying with the idea of posting some of the reworked one steps here and asking for critiques, pointers, how different systems would handle the moves. It would be a lot of work, and a lot of explaining. But it might be worth it to get the bennifit of all the different perspectives and experience here.

I see I've drifted off topic, so I'll shut up now :P .

Freedom isn't free!

All three I have studied have been Korean (TSD/TKD) based with a mixer of other styles.

TSD with Thai boxing and Hapkido.

TKD (WTF) with Chin Na and a little Kung Fu influence.

TKD (MDK) with Judo, Kali, Chin Na.

Except now, I have recently got back into Judo (Japanese), so I didn't take the poll.

Laurie F

I have picked chinese becase I consider Tai chi chuan as my main stream art. I consider Kickboxing a temporary choice now... Anyway I think the option are not well selected for example if someone does judo

shuold he answer grappling or Japanese?