• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing shoes for martial arts

Do you wear shoes in Martial Arts?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear shoes in Martial Arts?

• Yes, always
    • Yes, but not for sparring
    • No, but thinking of
    • No, never

Bleh, I can't stand shoes... hehe even when I'm not doing martial arts I use shoes as little as I can. This past summer I spent most of it without footwear... I went camping and didn't wear shoes. You end up getting Flinstone feet though :P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Autodefence Wing Tchun we wear low top athletic shoes even in sparring. It doesn't affect the way we kick at all.

shoes should and must never hinder you in martial arts. any shoes i wear don't bother when i do my karate. be it combat boots, leather boots, formal shoes or any shoes for that matter how much more if i don't wear one.

why did we surrender lord?

For Tai chi we have very light shoes.

For Kickboxing we don't wear shoes we have foot protection but the part of the foot which touches the floor is bare.

I've worn shoes in the winter (this was the first) because in the dojo the floor was quite cold (almost freezing temperature). As soon as the place was warmer i quit wearing the shoes. I like to train barefoot .. well to be honest ... at home I wear nothing too and of course it starts all sorts of discussions with my parents :D

as a part of our oriental tradition we take them off .....but specific footwear designed for martial arts have made an appearance in the dojo....so that would be the only case and only because they are made specifically for martial arts and therefore are part of the uniform so to say....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

If u think about it though, if ur ever attacked, say on the street then ur gonna be wearing shoes, so u might as well get used to it.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

True, that's why I think it's a good idea to get used to training with and without shoes and also with and without a gi (ie train in regular clothes occasionally IMO).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!