• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Style

Bykauren- best style ever, as far as i'm concerned

it's movements are effecient and effective- and it is not hindered by tradition( not that tradition is bad, or that it has no tradition) but it is like an evolved karate form- the founder just took what all really worked in the real world and in the ring and used it as a style- you can't argue with that

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kobayashi Shorin Ryu (Shorinkan)

Okinawan system

In my opinion, covers a broad range of fighting, from stand up to ground. I like it because it is designed for close-range infighting, which is what I prefer to do.

In some ways, very similar to ShorinRyu Sensei's style (I've actually taken Matsumura Shorin Ryu for a while, although it was Kenshin kan).

Hand techniques are probably weighted slightly more than leg techniques in terms of frequency. There are many types (fist, fingers, any surface...etc.) and range from strikes, to soft parries to ripping/tearing (Shaolin Chin na types) etc.

Kicks are low (plenty of vulnerable targets below the waste)

Blocks are actually always strikes (no blocks in karate).

Basic grappling and joint manipulation in the beginning progresses to more advanced pressure point manipulation, whether striking or grappling.

Very heavy on in-fighting.

May appear to be a "hard" style in the beginning, but is actually much softer at the higher levels.

Higher level learning incorporates breathing and internal energy mechanics.

Unlike Matsumura, there is not a Hakutsuru in our system officially per se, although many high level practictioners know a version or two. I was shown some of the Matsumura stuff, 3 practice Hakutsuru kata and Hakutsuru Sho, but I have to struggle through it as I don't have a teacher right now...

Like a lot of Okinawan systems, heavily influenced by Chinese systems (External Shaolin schools, although there is a mix of soft and hard)

Main weapons taught are bo, sai, nunchaku, tonfa, kama, and nitonbo although there are also nunte, tekko (and a bunch of others that i haven't been taught) that aren't officially in our weapons system, which is Yamani Ryu.

Kata plays a big role and bunkai (application) is the main focus of the kata (otherwise it becomes a dance), although it is taught on multiple levels (to include energy and breathing).

Kata is supplemented by training drills, some teachers emphasize these more than others.

Sparring varies from teacher to teacher. Some dojos its heavier than others, although it almost always incorporates all levels from stand up to ground fighting.

Sometimes we do yakusoku kumite, which is sort of a two-person kata. There is no set timing, so even though you know what move comes next, it still keeps you on your toes. I think it is a good distance and timing drill.

Unfortunately, I don't have a teacher as I have just moved to California (nearest one is over 2 hours away). There are numerous dojos in the States though.

You get the picture.

Some websites

http://www.shorinryushorinkan.com/index.htm

http://www.karateshorinkan.com/main.html

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

My style is Kwanmukan karate. It's a mix of karate, judo, ju-jitsu, and kubodo(Spelled wrong.)

Breaking? As in boards? There are special seminars and events where you break boards. But it's not a part of every day class.

We use low, high, spinning, and jumping kicks all in kata, and ipons. (Ipons. Aka. Ipon kumite. Are just ways to practice techniques that flow together well.) In sparring, low kicks are illegal though, and spinning and jumping kicks are not recommended unless you can do them very well, because there's a good chance you will be taken down, if you don't do them fast, and almost perfectly.

or special techniques?

We can learn bo, nunchuku, sai, tonfa, and i think there might be like 2 more. We can start learning the bo at blue belt. Nunchuku at green. And Sai & tonfa at purple.

hello everyone my name is grey im new to the forum so id just like to take the time and say hello.. far as what i train in...im a kyokushin stylist i feel it suits me best...never been one for hours of kata training although there are kata's in the kyokushin system but you all know im sure the main concentration is kumite(fighting)...i noticed theres not too many kyokushin people hear...i would like to let everyone know that i have the up most respect for all styles of the martial arts, and i wish you all continued luck in your training..

I don't know a great deal about the style I am learning as I just started, but here is what I do know.

The style is American Chung Do Kwon TKD.

I know that board breaking is a requirment at the higher belt ranks.

I know that in addition to traditional TKD, the style incorporates joint-locking, and throwing techniques from Okinawan arts, and at the Black belt level, you begin to learn Kobudo, and can learn weapons.

Our school is a member of A-Kato and has very high standards. Our Master BB is a 9th DAN.

That is all I know.

I take Ryu Kyu Kenpo

We use multipul hand strike and low kicks

Alot of ourstudies are based on real life self defence We also do some throws and grappling

We use a small portion of japanese

Also some pressure points are practiced but more galbladder strikes than any thing

The only weapon we have studied since I started is the Arnis

All students are taught the same technque at the same time(small school)

We are located in Oneida,Tn

Main Style: Shotokan Karate

I am currently doing one step sparring, full extension at touch contact. We also do oyo (which we are graded on) at close quarters, with just a small dig to let your opponent that your technique has landed.

I've never broken a board in my life... I have seen a couple of our people do it at demos etc.

We incorporate pressure points into our lessons, especially our bunkai. Moves are practiced against straight punches, hook punches, lapel grabs, bear hugs, wrist grabs, shoulder grabs, hair grabs. Apart from that there is the more traditional Kata, Kumite and Kihon.

We use Japanese in the lesson, with English often following if there are low grades there. There is no shame in asking for a translation if needed, no matter what your grade.

Occasionally for 6th Kyu and up there are weapon classes. Sword, nunchaku, bo staff. These are taught as an extra and there are no ‘levels’ to them, it’s just another experience.

Secondary Style: Open Circle Fighting Method

Hard contact self defence style incorporating pressure points, BAR, waveforms, balance points, locks, chokes, takedowns etc. No set kicks, punches etc. It basically teaches you to use whatever you can get, and how to use it at its best. Kicks tend to be a hard front kick, or just whamming a roundhouse in (shin contact) with a waveform. Knees are also used. Arm techniques are mainly punches, palm strikes, back hands, elbows, again using the hips as much as possible. From standing up, sitting down, lying down, grappling etc. Stances… none really. Feet facing opponent so all your energy is going into them.

A bit more emphasis on fitness.

Strikes on partners (not full strength), pads (full strength) and some ether foam (starting low power and working your way up to whatever your partner is ‘comfortable’ with).

We use English terms.

This is all done at Martial Arts World in Paignton.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum