• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad Habbits

I have been studying TSD for just over a year now, and am getting rather worried. From what I can see, gup grades seem to be awarded belts for just turning up to classes and knowing what techniques should vaguely look like, not being able to perform techniques very well.

I find this very worrying, because if they are not being told major problems, whats to say I'm not going to pick up bad habbits I'm not aware of, or even if I already have pleanty. Is it worth learning the techniques of the art if I'm going to learn them wrong? Perhaps most martial arts schools have teaching of a similar level, and my previous art was especially strict.

Steve

I'm not tryin to put down my class mates, I've just noticed alot of Bristol TSD students higher grade than me not being able to properly pull off basic kicks. Meh, I always feel bad about posting, like peeps don't want to hear me whinin.grrrrrrr.....

World famour for idiotography

6th Kyu Wado Ryu

5th Gup Tang Soo Do

1st Dan Origami

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is going on a lot more than people think. A lot of TSD studios feel that in order to be profitable, they must appease the students and parents by simply awarding belt advancements just by showing up or rudimentary skills. After all, happy students keep coming back, right? Reward 'em and they keep paying each month, and so do the parents. The sad thing is, the serious studiers of the style lose out on the discipline and real effort it takes to achieve rank. And you're right; your green belt at one studio may not be equal to a green belt at another studio. If you're unhappy, look elsewhere. It sounds almost like you're training in a "belt factory", where they simply churn out as many people each testing cycle as they can in order to "keep everyone happy". Look for a dojo that is a little less mainstream- one that doesn't do much advertising and may be in a little hole in the wall somewhere. The larger, fancier studios are usually geared toward younger clientele and they want to reach deep in the pockets of the yuppie parents driving the kids to class in the Escalade.

Mixed Martial Artist

try to get some one on one time with your instructors and just worry about yourself, make sure your techniques are up to par with what you would like them to be. If your instructor has nothing to give you in advice then you may have perfect techniques(not likely) or your instructor is not up to par.....and maybe you should look elsewhere for instruction.....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Express your worries to your instructor and do it in a very courtos way. Tell him you'd like to perfect your technique and ask him to correct you any time your movement is flawed. If he's not into it and doesn't care about your technique just leave. It's kinda hard, because in an year time you get accustomed with your coleagues, but it's the best thing to do when there are no other ways.

We've got in this forum some members that made the painful move and they can help you even more :karate:

I agree with what ramymensa said.

talk to your instructor and if he cant give you what you want leave.

Because martial arts is about the perfection of self. How can you do that if not even the instructor is helping you.

I suppose i'm a little more harsh than you two. If the quality of the instruction isn't up to par, then move on. No amount of talking to the instructor will make a difference, since it seems he's already compromised his ethical standards and made a decision as to what's more important.

And yes, there are a lot of substandard schools out there, but there are also plenty of good ones.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Cheer peeps. I'll have a word with my instructor. The thing is I quite enjoy going to the class, and both my parents have joined since I have. I guess I could maybe drop down to one class a week and take somthing else to fine tune my techs? Somthing with a bit of facial contact, some sweeps and the odd throw. Any thoughts?

World famour for idiotography

6th Kyu Wado Ryu

5th Gup Tang Soo Do

1st Dan Origami

I suppose i'm a little more harsh than you two. If the quality of the instruction isn't up to par, then move on. No amount of talking to the instructor will make a difference, since it seems he's already compromised his ethical standards and made a decision as to what's more important.

And yes, there are a lot of substandard schools out there, but there are also plenty of good ones.

I agree with WW if he is there only for the business and doesn't care about teaching well, talking with him will not change the situation