• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight Vest, stunt growth?

I am interested in purchasing one of these weighted vests(http://www.weightvest.com/index.html) however, I'm afraid it may stunt my growth. I'm merely 15 and only 5'4, so this is a big concern for me whether or not if I should practice with one. I can only guess that it can have a substantial effect of stunting one's growth, but I wasn't able to find any solid statements relating to this on the internet...soo I'd like to ask you guys.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unless you wore it 24/7, I honestly don't think you'd stunt your growth. On a lighter note, why not just eat 3 large double cheeseburgers every 3-4 hours? the extra fat you gain would be just like wearing that vest... :P

Mixed Martial Artist

Lifting weights at a young age can stunt your growth. How it happens is ligfting heavy weight shortens the muscle fibres in your overall muscles. At 15 your still due for at least 1 more growth spurt. If I were you I would hold off on it until you get bigger/taller or you talk to your doctor about it. It wouldn't hurt to ask him/her about this. If you were going to get a weight vest I would start off with the lightest and work from there

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder