• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knunkles

I've always had a problem with handwraps coming loose. However, I seem to be the only person with this problem.

No, you're not the only one. Another reason to wear gloves, tey keep the wraps in place.

...the wraps are more for stability than skin protection. They keep your fist tight, and support the wrist.

Exactly. They work with the gloves to protect your hand. My heavy bag is set up to move, which works targeting and technique more realistically. But every once in a while I land the punch incorrectly, and that protection is extremely important sometimes.

i was also wondering about the effects on not just the knuckles but in general the whole hand, the wrist and arm, do u think that regular punch bag strenghens the bones, tendons and muscles?

Definately. Any time you shock load your arm you strengthen and toughen it. But you can also injure it, which is why protection is important when you are really getting down with it.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

daryldolittle wrote:

i was also wondering about the effects on not just the knuckles but in general the whole hand, the wrist and arm, do u think that regular punch bag strenghens the bones, tendons and muscles?

Definately. Any time you shock load your arm you strengthen and toughen it. But you can also injure it, which is why protection is important when you are really getting down with it.

Will my arm recieve less shock when wearing gloves?

Definatley start out on gloves, many ppl even wear handwraps under gloves. After some experience with the bag u could move to lighter gloves or maybe handwraps as long as u dont over do it. Remember even pro boxers use gloves when doing bag work. The reason is simple, if u dont u will injure ur hands and knuckles and do permanent damage, probably get arthritus when ur older.

Another thing, if u want to toughen up ur knuckles then do some knuckle pressups, a rough carpet is a good place to start. Ur bag should not be used to toughen ur knuckles up, its there to improve ur fitness, strength and technique.

Hope this helps.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I've always trained bareknuckle myself. Sometimes I'll beat the heavy bags until my knuckles start getting skin seperations and blood is getting on it. However, this doesn't help the bones much, and you need that too to be properly conditioned if you're aiming to break concrete, etc. What the heavy bag will do, though, is turn your hand skin into a tough hide.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."