• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knunkles

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Never had a problem, just make sure you're wearing gloves, that canvas can be rough on the skin. :)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

I actually have the same question, and I'm 16 too.

Never had a problem, just make sure you're wearing gloves, that canvas can be rough on the skin.

..What about just using handwraps?

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

I've always had a problem with handwraps coming loose. However, I seem to be the only person with this problem. I dunno...the main thing is have something that protects your knuckles. I've seen a lot of boxers use hand wraps, so it must be effective. :)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

The intent of a punching bag is to work on form while maintaining power. It is not about building up callouses on your hand, which punching a bag doesn't do for you anyway. In fact, what it will more likely do is cause you to fracture a finger, injure tendons, or pop a few arteries (bruise). Given this, wear protective gear. Put on some bag mitts that fit you.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

i was also wondering about the effects on not just the knuckles but in general the whole hand, the wrist and arm, do u think that regular punch bag strenghens the bones, tendons and muscles?

"Best there is, Best there was, Best there ever will be"

i have always trained bare knuckle, not just on bags but on every thing.....many will disagree with this method...

I have also always trained bare knuckled - on heavy bag, focus pads, and sometimes on wood and stone. I've never had any persistent hand pain, stiffness, or other problems as a result.

I would definitely hesitate to recommend this to other people though - when I'm teaching kickboxing, I always make sure my students use bag gloves etc...

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

My wraps come loose too, but I only notice after I've giving myself 2nd degree burns.. :lol: Though the wraps are more for stability than skin protection. They keep your fist tight, and support the wrist.

I wouldn't go about smashing solid objects. A long time ago I thought I had strong fists from hitting bricks, walls, etc. But, in reality my punch just wasn't strong enough to hurt myself. Eventually, when I was mad at the time, I almost broke a knuckle from hitting something a wee bit too hard.

BTW, knuckles take for ever, and then some, to heal.