• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To Swim or to Jump Rope?

Because I have an easy access to a pool, I always practiced swimming for a cardiovascular workout instead of anything else. However I'm contemplating on whichever is a more beneficial fat burning or cardiovascular workout, the jump rope or to swim? I can't jump rope consecutively like a pro yet...but if I were to learn will I burn more calories than swimming? Jump roping seems faster, traditional and not to mention cool-looking if I were to master it :)

But I'm more interested in for the beneficial workout than anything else.

So if I were to jump rope for an hour, or swim for an hour, which is more effective to burn calories or fat/cardiovascular workout? If you have any more effective suggestions (ex. running), please state so!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Of you've got the easy access to a pool, don't quit swimming, because it's full of benefits. Jump roping is also good and you really don't need to jump like a pro :) Do it for some minutes and your body would benefit from it. It's good to have them both, but don't forget to leave some room for personal life :karate:

I'd go for both.

Do both. You have a good situation for some cross training. Mix it up for variety. I would guess that jump rope may burn more calories (I don't know if it is significantly more).

Once you get cranking and get bored of the routine, get a bike and some running shoes and try your hand at a triathalon. :brow:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Jump rope. I forget where the study is, but there was some evidence (sp?) that swimming will not help you lose weight. It had something to do with the fact that the water kept your body at a certain temperature and so the body didn't want to lose weight if it could help it.

Other than that swimming is great for exercise.

Jump rope 10min = 30min jogging + your foot work and speed is increasing for what you are training for. :brow:

Tip #1 blocking with your face makes them think they are winning!

Jump rope. I forget where the study is, but there was some evidence (sp?) that swimming will not help you lose weight. It had something to do with the fact that the water kept your body at a certain temperature and so the body didn't want to lose weight if it could help it.

If this is true, then ofcourse I will choose jump roping over swimming. But I can't find anything over the internet relating to your particular comment :-?

????????????????

Losing weigth has nothing to do with temperature. It's simple math: Calories in - Calories burned, if the result is negative, you are loosing weigth. When's the last time you saw a fat olympic swimmer?

Go with swimming. Great workout, easy on the joints.