• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most common practiced kung fu styles?

I was wondering which are the most common practiced kung fu styles around the world, since i started practice one myself i 'am rather curious about it. I know there are too many different styles to summerize but i just want to know about the most common ones.

Also does anyone know a good website with a good overview of different kung fu styles? I'm new at it and when searching the web you get confronted with so many different styles its really confusing :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think:

in europe, you would have more on Hung Gar and Jow Gar, Choy Gar (Southern Art).

in US, probably would be Wing Chun (southern art).

in South East Asia, there are many practisioner on Hung Gar, Choy Gar, Jow Gar, Wing Chun, Shaolin and other southern art.

So maybe the more appreciated form of practise is Southern Style CMA.

thx all, it's getting a little beter now :)

Although being a little difficult :wink: : San Soo Kung Fu and Mantis Kung Fu seem to be missing from the list at that site (or i'm blind). I knew 4 styles of Kung Fu before i saw that list and of course two of those had to be missing, not that i'm ungrateful draven :)

It's a fact that that's a fact :).

But the reason for this is that mantis is a Animal Style and you were looking at the Gung Fu styles, if I'm not mistaken.

Here's the link for Praying Mantis : http://www.shaolin-society.co.uk/Animal_Styles/The_Praying_Mantis/the_praying_mantis.php

Greetzz ChenZy

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be

as was said, it probably varies by region. In the UK, you see lau gar - you rarely see that in the US, for example. Anyway, as for the US, I'd say yang taiji, longfist and wing chun, in that order.

Here in Italy Wing Chun is not practiced too much... I would rather say that here northern/southern shaolin and tai chi chuan are the most popular

Probably southern style CMA had maintain and preserve their traitional values and teachings, hence it is more popular over the world.

Whereas northern style CMA had evolve too much into comtemp style, where most "traitional" people don't like it.