• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

strength without the muscle

blaze78_9

Hmm...why didn't the body just evolve to deplete fat first, then go catabolic on the muscle if that doesn't work? That way it could keep its strength until absolutely neccessary?

Stupid body.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that determined on how you apply the technique? Like rotating your hips into a punch, using the body behind moves, etc.?

Mixed Martial Artist

No not technique. A simple example might be an olympic/power lifter who weighs only 80 kg but can lift much more than the average 120 kg person. Think of relative strength as in max strength to body weight. Unfortunately I've forgotten where I saw this last, but I'm sure google can help.

Hmm...why didn't the body just evolve to deplete fat first, then go catabolic on the muscle if that doesn't work? That way it could keep its strength until absolutely neccessary?

Stupid body.

Because muscle takes more calories to sustain than fat. I don't think evolution could change that...

This is why when you deplete your caloric intake, your body will catabolize muscle tissue to feed the body before it uses stored fat reserves.

Not true. The body drops muscle first because it takes more energy to sustain. If you are depleting yourself of nourishment, then you don't have the energy to keep the muscle in tact.

In a nutshell, when you deplete the body of calories, your brain says "holy crap, I'm starving!" and it goes into starvation mode. metabolism slows, and fat cells split. This is why some people gain weight when they diet. The body is looking for ways to conserve energy, and so it gets rid of muscle because muscle requires more energy to sustain.

I believe the only way to gain strength without gaining mass is simply sharpening technique.

No. ANother way (the best way, probably) Is neurological training - force is nothing more than a hard muscular contraction. You must train your neuromuscular system to contract harder. There are several methods of doing this - the one I've tried and had success with is "power to the people" - it's a program designed by pavel tsatsouline.

having big muscles does not make u slower if u also work on your speed as gaining those big muscles. If u just wanna get fit or cut, i recommend u do push-ups and situps daily. You could also do high reps of light weights.

that won't make you stronger though, after a certain point. Bodyweight exercises are mainly for building muscle endurance, not strength. resistance exercises build strength. Take me for example. I bench press 280. However, I can't do 100 straight pushups. Find a person who can do 100 straight pushups but doesn't lift wieghts, and I guarantee you he can't bench 280. bodyweight exercises don't offer progressive resistance, and therefore will not continue to make you stronger. you only gain more endurance.