• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok, I'm finally getting back into training after a few months off (don't want to get into that). What I want to do is MT, however, and you can laugh at me for this, my GF is afraid of MT and finds any excuse to keep me out of it. I guess I shouldn't have shown her those UFC matches... :lol:

Anyway, I will eventually be going to a small local gym taught by a former Thailand fighter (some 80 - 90 pro fights). What should I be doing to get ready for MT? I have been doing karate, and working out, but as I said have been off for a bit.

I have access to 2 gyms, a heavy bag, more ropes than I can count, a karate dojo, etc., but lack the time to spend my entire day finding ways to hurt my self. :P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My advice is simple... start 3-4 of weeks of general aerobic training and add some weightlifting (not too much) then you can start your MT training, after a few weeks you will figure out what kind of additional specific training you will need... maybe you are out of stamina so roadwork or cycling can be an option. Maybe you lost flexibility and you will need to work on that maybe you will need more explosive strenght so high speed weightlifting may help you.

So as a scheme:

1. Spend 3-4 weeks to prepare your body.

2. Start MT and figure out what kind of additional exercise you need.

3. Continue MT training with the addition of specific exercise.

for now id just make sure i had the endurance by running a good deal every day. also, just do a good amount of bagwork to get your punching and kicking skills back.

a broken arm throws no punches

I'm doing a 4-day split routine in the gym for overall strength, with a lot of treadmill (still too cold to go outside), and plenty of rope. I've noticed my flexability is shot, compared to before... that's going to hurt. :lol:

Can't wait. Thanks for the tips.

Doesn't this get asked a lot over the years? Maybe there should be a FAQ...

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best thing to do is just to meet your new coach, talk to him about what you want and let him decide what you need. With that much experience, his guidance should be very good.