• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you ever practiced with an instructor or do you want to start from zero on your own?

If you practiced with an instructor just repeat your typical lesson substituting combo practice in pairs with combo practice with a bag

and free sparring with shadow kickboxing or free sparring with the bag.

In the other case if you have to learn the basics you better join a class.

You can do some extra work at home, but I think it's better to get the basics from an expert (instructor). Stretch, work at the bag (if you have one), jump rope, do strenght exercises. When one has got the time and place for some work in MA, it's better to use the opportunity.

Always ask the instructor to help and explain. If you are not so sure of a technique, don't perform it wrong. It's hard to get rid of the bad habits. Focus on the things you know you are doing good.

step one is to get some formal training. If ou are trying to learn on your own, all you are going to do is ingrain bad habits into you by training them every day. That will hurt you in the long run if you ever do go get formal instruction.

Once you've had formal instruction, just train the way you do in class - jumping rope, shadow boxing, do line drills up and down the floor, calisthenics, etc. If you have a partner, do thai pad and focus mitt drills, and also some sparring.

• 1 month later...

i just use a heavy bag for strength increase and speed bag for speed increase and i do push ups weights etc.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

At home training in kickboxing would work for me as long as I could get into some real matches. I've been in the martial arts for about 2 and a half years and would like to get some ring action.

Man I hate this small town!

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

it all really depends on where you need to work like on your legs or arms or stomach etc. and find and exercise for what you want to work on, mens health is a good exercise magazine

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ab work, ab work, and more ab work. The best way to increas your strength for round kicks is to kick the bag... a lot and from pad work if you have someone to hold pads for you. But make sure you are kicking correctly. Technique is paramount. Speed and power will come once you have the proper technique down. Weight training for muay thai is nice, but not really necessary. If you get all buffed up, it will slow you down. Look at the thai's, they are almost always small in stature but terribly fast. Their power which is also amazing comes from their technique and speed. Not to say they are not strong, because they are, but they seldom lift weights in thailand camps if ever. Push ups are great as are crunches and running is always a plus.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!