• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorei

italian_guy

Hi, I know that in my town there is a Shorei Kan dojo, since I'm interested to replace my kickboxing with some karate can you give me some information about this style. :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All I can tell you is that I have been doing ShoreiKan for over three years and I love it. It's traditional Goju Ryu with a curriculum created by Seikichi Toguchi. It's a very thorough and complete system. It will be very different than your kickboxing, however, as it involved much less kicking and a lot of in-close grappling, locks, and takedowns and such.

In Italy you'll be studying under Toshio Tamano who is highly regarded.

The nice things about ShoreiKan is that you not only study the kata, but you also study a complete two-person bunkai for the kata. Each level also has a separate kiso kumite which teaches various counters and self-defense techniques.

Hi, since it has throws it will have also falls, I'm not too agile (I'm 42) and for me will be hard to learn capers or things like that; does this style include also acrobatic movements?

italian_guy

i should not worry too much about falls and throwing i am nearly as old as you and although ive been diong karate for many years have recently started jujitsu and the dont expect you to fall or fly all around the dojo if its a reputable club they will learn you all you need as you need it

theres no one style just your style---------

italian_guy

i should not worry too much about falls and throwing i am nearly as old as you and although ive been diong karate for many years have recently started jujitsu and the dont expect you to fall or fly all around the dojo if its a reputable club they will learn you all you need as you need it

Thanks, for the explaination, I am less worried now. :)

I was not able to do capers, or roll properly even when I was young.. not to mention now.

italian_guy

how did you find tai chi after training in kick boxing was it difficult to find the relaxing and breathing hard when doing hard style to soft style ive tried tai chi and although i know im supposed to relax me body just doesnt want to

theres no one style just your style---------

Actually I'm doing both styles: two days a week kickboxing, two days a week tai chi. I know at the beginning it is hard to relax... but then I discover that if you concentrate in slowing down your breathing, relaxation will come out naturally. I'm still having this problem (I'm practicing Tai chi since 2 months now) but I feel I'm on the way to solve it.

Tai Chi is an excellent art to compliment any system. I have a friend that I'm about to start training full time with. Like a lot of martial arts, Tai Chi has a host of things to offer on many different levels.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.