• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the Different Okinawan Styles ?

Mr.Man

I am considering signing up my family and I with a Goju Ryu club. Any comments on the different Okinawan arts? I am looking for a complete art with good self defense. What do you think about Goju Ryu vs other arts ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There are already comparisons in the comparaitive styles forum. However, since you asked, Goju Ryu is as complete an art as any other. However, just like any other art, it depends on the knowledge, skills and teaching ability of the instructor. It also depends a lot on how much effort you and your family put into learning. Martial arts are great, but they are hard work. Good luck to you and your family. :)

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Thank you for your comments, I am really looking forward to starting. I have been in another art for 2 yrs and I am very dissapointed in the instruction and what I feel I am learning in my current club. I was impressed with what I saw at the Goju club in the art and the instructor. He seemed to challenge everyone nomatter what belt and I need that. Any comments on what you particularly like about Goju Ryu or similar art?

Goju is a good solid art. You learn to move very quickly from low stances. It develops strong legs. Go-ju has a very solid and effective Sanchin. A good Go-ju practitioner can take a punch from the best of them. It is versatile and very street effective. Its applications span from powerful strikes to beautiful and effortless grappling applications. You can take Go-ju knowing that you are practicing one of the most widely respected and practiced Okinawan arts. Really all you have to worry about is the instructor. As in any art, the instructor will either make or break the experience.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

AndrewGreen

All the Okinawan styles are basically the same. Just some stylistic differences and different kata

No they are not. But they are all very good in there own way. Look for a good instuctor

More Practice

Go-ju has a very solid and effective Sanchin. A good Go-ju practitioner can take a punch from the best of them. It is versatile and very street effective.

Can't deny the man that. I come from IsshinRyu. A style developed from Goju ryu and Shorin ryu. Sanchin is a real body toner. If anyone tells you they are not tired after sanchin, they didn't do it right.

As for the original question....Instructor is a major key to your development. You also need to find a style that suits you best. I'm not a great high kicker, so my style suits me perfectly. No kicks above the waist.

"No Excuses"