• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all....

I am a Martial Artist of a hard style, Tae Kwon Do. But my main goal in learning Tae Kwon Do is for basics. I am currently a belt away from black and I wanted to know, what the best soft style to learn next would be. At the moment, I am not into weapons of any sort, I only want to learn how to control my body to it's fullest.

Thanks

Ryan Somers

Tae Kwon Do - Red Belt

Colgate Martial Arts Grand Champion (2002)

14-Male-New York

Soft to Medium Stylist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
"best" is always subjective, but if i were to toss out my 'opinion,' it would be aikido. Aikido is one of the softest of the soft, very internal and a full 180 degrees from TKD. I think it will be a great new experience for you.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I think tai chi is also a very soft internal style. I'm doing yang style tai chi chuan and I enjoy it. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Yi Quan

Remember this is very boring!!!

But once you master this, you can be extremely powerful

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

Hmm, Wing Tsun would be a good choice.

Wing Chun is always a good choice, but it depends what you mean by 'soft'. I don't consider WC a 'soft' style - we just don't think of bloody noses as important to our martial develpment during training. It's conceptually very different from TKD, so in terms of fighting I think you'd be better sticking with one or the other. (Of the two I'd say WC every time, but then I'm horribly biased.)

If you're looking for inner calm and bodily health (and a wicked fighting system for those that can see it) try Tai Chi & Chi Kung.

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.

I'd look at the Kenpo/Kempo styles, if I were you. They blend the hard style you are used to very effectively with the softer styles. They also focus more on footwork and letting stance changes do the work, as opposed to the harder, more muscular approach of TKD.

Freedom isn't free!

• 3 weeks later...