• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BEST STYLE FOR GETTING IN SHAPE

Hello,

I would like to join in the conversation and ask some questions myself. I as well am looking for a martial art that demands great effort from your body while practising. I also would like to know which martial art contains basic moves that may be applied not just in the dojo but also in a real fight. I have been practising Karate and Jiu Jitsu and I gained an insightful impression of how realistic these moves are. Mostly it is getting too complicated to learn the moves in a way that it doesn't hamper their effectiveness.To get to an end, apart from the athletic aspect, I would like to know which martial art combines fitness (increase in strength, endurance,...) and effectiveness ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think kickboxing is very good for fitness, the training is a very good aerobic/anaerobic work with some conditioning added. The sparring is all about skill, endurance, speed and if you practice full contact also strength. From the point of view of effectiveness it is not a self-defence art but I think that self devence skills can be easily added, and if you practice full contact the level of contact is as close as possible to a street fight .

Goolsbee,

You have stated that fitness and fun are the goals you would like to meet in a martial art. How much contact would be fun for you?

I think your best options for fitness would be kickboxing, boxing or a grappling art (such as bjj or judo). Those all have matches and the competitions will force a participant to train hard and get in great shape. If you do not get in great shape you get knocked out :o If money is a concern, boxing can be the least expensive option. When I was boxing, I paid a little over $100 a year for unlimited access to a PAL (Police Athletic League) gym. You may have to go to an economically depressed area to find one, but you sure will get some great fights there!

If you would not enjoy full contact, then perhaps someone else can suggest an art, as I would not be the best person for that.

Good luck in your choices.

Respectfully,

Sorynn