• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BEST STYLE FOR GETTING IN SHAPE

I am new to MA and living in a big city so I can choose any style. My doc says I need to find a good aerobic activity that I find interesting so as to stick with it. So I am looking for a style. It doesn't need to be effective for street fighting or anything like that, just mentally challenging and good exercise.

The only other things are that I am tall & skinny and not very flexible at all so those TKD-type kicks to the head are pretty tough for me to do. I went to an Aikido class and liked it but there didn't seem to be much sustained aerobic activity. Does that change as you get more advanced?

Choices are Aikido, Karate, Judo, Jiujitsu, kung fu/wing chun/wu shu, Taekwondo, Hapkido or anything else.

How would you rank them strictly on exercise and how flexible do you need to be for them?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It all really depends. You have to be well conditioned in ALL of them...guess it just depends on you, really. TKD will teach you flexibility. Believe it or not, some people go into that art not being able to kick well. :)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Well heres a list goolsbee:

What it does for you.

Taekwondo: flexiblity, high kicks, braeak boards,

Karate: teach self defence, healtheir excercise

taichi: Teach you self defence calmness

yoga: I don't know but its excercise

Muay thai: Teach you how to fight etc,

taijitsu: self denfece

Renzoken: teach on defence and high kicks

You really don't need to be very flexible to do none of them, in karate if you can kick your head height that is good. So flexible is not really the key, have fun in ma socialty and stay fit.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

Go for something sporty. Sport martial arts put lots of emphasis and fitness and endurance.

I'd say judo or tae kwon do from the list you gave. If you train for a while, your flexibility will improve greatly. Another alternative would be karate, if you can find a dojo that emphasises fitness.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

The hardest work out I have had as far as sweat came in a cardio kickboxing class. LOL

Our Shotokan classes build leg muscle and we get a pretty good sweat going.

I took a few MT lessons and I was sore but that was because I was beat up.

JuJitsu Ive played with it some as well and wrestling all day and stuff is tiresome espically when you really go at it.

Judo, Hapikido, Wrestling. I hate falling so I was sore but yeah its a good workout.

Fact is the style dont matter its how hard you work in class. Thats up to you not the teacher.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

If you really want to learn martial arts (rather than just 'get fit') then its the instructor that is important, rather than the style. The style you pick might be brilliant, but if the instructor is useless (or just in it for the $$$, or both) then there's not much point in going to that club.

Having said that, I'd recommend Judo, Karate or TKD for if you want a good aerobic workout. You don't need to be super-flexible to start martial arts (not even TKD! lol) because flexibility will come to you the more you practice. You just need dedication!

Good luck in your search for a MA club. Matbe you could go visit a few clubs in your area and watch and try out a couple of lessons to see what you think.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think kickboxing is a good choice for what you are searching. It gives you a quite complete workout and you will learn the basics quite fast. Also the sparring is very related with endurance so it is a quite good exercise and in many school you can spare at whatever level of contact you want. If what you look for is not a traditional martial art bringing spiritual (along with physical) benefits, I think that kickboxing is a very valid choice. :up:

I've been in a muay thai classes before its 450baht, and we do 8km run, come back punch and kicks knees strike with all great equipment and Instruted by around 6 professionals Instrutor, It was for about 3 hours I was nexked but it was a good classes. I want to took uo taiji and sanda or even kungfu, I want to tralvel to china to lern from sholin if they let me study.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro