• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt ranking time requirements

Sauzin

Thank-you very much for the replies thus far. I understand that all of these ranks are truly based on skill, dedication, contribution, and personal character. However most systems do have some kind of time/progression "guideline" and these replies are greatly aiding my research on this.

Thank-you again,

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ours is pretty similar to what most people have posted. Average time to 1st dan is about 4-5 years. You have to have a minimum of another 2 years regular training to be allowed to test for 2nd dan, and a minimum of 3 years on top of that to test for Sandan. To test for Yondan you have to be over 25 and registered judge or referee. To have Godan you have to be over 30 and have your own club (they prefer it if you're an instructor when you test for Yondan too).

We have a junior black belt system. Under 16's can earn a junior 1st dan. No more dan grades are permitted for juniors. When a junior BB reaches 16, they have to re-test in order to be able to keep their BB status.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Seven years for us to become shodan (youngters could take more time, They are not alowed to get the rank until they are 18, so it could be 9-10 years for them). For lower ranks we can test twice a year, after 6 kyu once a year (or it could take more if you are not prepared)

Shodan is 4 years minimum and must be either 18 or have the maturity level of an adult.

Nidan is 2-3 years depending on how well you develop.

I can't say for the rest though I think Sandan is 3-4 years since I've been in the rank for 3 years.

Informer, I would be EXTREMELY suspect of anyone with credentials like that. You can't usually go from 3rd dan to 4th dan in under 3 to 5 years. From 3rd dan to 5th dan is the time you are learning the very fine points of a given art. I realize that I am generalizing based on my knowledge of some of the other "legitimate" arts that I'm more familiar with. You can't learn these fine points much less be at a master instructor level in 2 years.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.