Most popular martial art in your area

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flint Michigan: Lots of Hapkido and Tang Soo Do. Other than that, we have a little bit of everything...but I lost track of how many of the two I mentioned.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Here in Kansas City, we have lots of Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and various generic and style-specific Karate schools; most dojos I've seen are McDojos. For instance, I've seen schools which say they're "Karate", but then they claim to be Kickboxing schools even though the teacher took Tae Kwon Do. Or "Karate" schools which are neither Japanese nor Okinawan, but rather some other style. I also see Tae Kwon Do schools that claim to teach Hapkido when it's just basic stuff. And Aikido that's not Ueshiba Aikido, but rather the teacher's own "practical" version which is a combination of Judo, Aikido, and Aiki-Jitsu. But the certificates say Aikido, so you're an Aikido master when you get one....

So, I guess what I'm getting at is that we have lots of schools that say one thing but are actually another thing, or a watered down version of the real thing. We do have the fortune of having a real Okinawan Karate master (Taika Oyata) living in the area, which is why we have some RyuTe schools here and there. There are a few other good schools as well.

Know thyself.

In my region of Washington State, TKD is by far the most popular.All of it is non-traditional- in fact, I don't even know where the closest traditional TKD school is. In my narrow little part of the state, you have a choice of TKD, or a different flavor of TKD.

FMA's, if taken as a whole, would be next most popular. A lot of TKD schools also teach some kind of FMA. The one I'm with does Modern Arnis.

When you get over toward Spokane and into Idaho there are a lot of different martial arts, including some very good Kenpo and Kempo schools. (I really want to move back to Spokane! :cry: )

The Seattle area as well has a good variety of martial arts, especiallysome really good CMA's. (Forget moving there for anything. :o )

I'm not too familiar with Wenatchee, but I do know they have an instructor there that is a living dictionary of FMA's- Mr. Jeff Brae. They also have Qi Fighting Concepts, Sifu Joseph Simonet's organization- definately world class. 8)

Freedom isn't free!

The Seattle area as well has a good variety of martial arts, especiallysome really good CMA's. (Forget moving there for anything. :o )

What's wrong with Seattle? I visited the town and looks very nice. :nod:

I would say, Karate, Taekwondo, muay thai, kickboxing, judo are most practice in Surrey region am not so sure.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

What's wrong with Seattle? I visited the town and looks very nice. :nod:

Maybe he's referring to the unemployment and cost of living?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!