• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The SAT!

monkeygirl

Or when Neil Armstrong said from the moon, "That's one small step for man..." when he should have said "That's one small step for a man...", thereby changing the entire meaning of his statement making it redundant: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". ("Man" is synonymous for mankind, thus plural)

Actually... (here's where my knowledge of useless info comes in)

Neil Armstrong actually did say "that's one small step for a man..." The 'a' was lost in transmission and it was (and is) generally believed that he only said "that's one small step for man".

Sorry to hear about your A Level results GrrrArg.

If you ever get it changed then let me know and I might have a chance of getting mine altered as well.

I got straight A grades for my History all way through 6th Form, but ended up with an E grade result in the exam, firstly because it was based only on examination (something we didn't know - all the students had been told (wrongly) that coursework would be taken into account) and secondly because my school had been teaching us the WRONG syllabus for the exams!!

We'd been learning British History from 1760 -1929, but we should have actually been doing the European history syllabus, seen as that was the one that we were taking the exam on.

So... all these students turned up for the exam and there were questions on there about Louis XIV and Peter the Great etc etc and other stuff that none of us knew anything about because no-one had ever taught it to us! *grrr*

*gets off soapbox and calms down...*

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil Armstrong actually did say "that's one small step for a man..." The 'a' was lost in transmission and it was (and is) generally believed that he only said "that's one small step for man".

Yes, he claims he said the "a", but what was recorded appears to be just "for man". :)

When I worked at NASA's Johnson Space Center right after I graduated from college, it was often a lunch time discussion as to what did Neil Armstrong actually say.

Even some of the current astronauts (early 90's) think Neil goofed. Those silly astronauts, they're always trying to prank each other. :P

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

well, Louis XIV was also known as the sun king and was the last success france had (one might argue napolean, but i would argue otherwise, and besides, he was corsican :P ). he did all sorts of neat stuff and ruled for a super long time, like, 70 years. during his reign all of europe wanted to be like the french.

peter the great, in a desperate attempt to modernize russia, cut down a forest and filled in a swamp to build the ultra-modern st. petersburg. the city faces the west, creating a "window to europe". he did all sorts of other neat stuff too, and some weird stuff.

y'know, FYI. i dig history :wink: :P

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

That's a great achievement! Have you decided what schools that you'll use those scores to get into?

That score also shows that you do well on standardized tests - that'll serve you well if you want to go on to medical, law, business, or other graduate-level school!

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

We don't have SATs in Canada either. The Universities here just look at your high school marks and use that to determine whether you get in or not. Some majors require a specialized test, but that's rare.

Up here, if you did well in high school, you get to go to university.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

i dig history :wink: :P

Me too!

I would have dug it more at school if it wasn't for the goof-up with the exam and the wrong syllabus and all.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

My dream school is Swarthmore College in PA....I just hope I get in early....

Good luck! I hope you get in.

Sheffield Steelers!

man, you are smart monkeygirl! Im only a sophomore in highschool so i havent taken it yet, but im pretty scared, how long did you guys study before taking the SAT's?