• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Poll: why did you start in the martial arts?

Why did you start in the martial arts?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Why did you start in the martial arts?

• Looking for a way to keep fit
    • Wanted to learn how to protect myself
    • Wanted to learn how to thrash on people
    • My parents made me do it!
    • I wanted to kick and punch like (insert favorite martial artist here)
    • I had a "free class" coupon I cut out of a newspaper.
    • Other (explain below)

just curious to see everyone's reason for walking into their first dojo. For me it was a way for my parents to keep me out of trouble and give me self discipline! :D Actually, I saw some Bruce Lee movies and thought, "I wanna be like that!"

Mixed Martial Artist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started because I wanted to find a way to get fit having more fun then lifting weight or attend an aerobic class, then other reasons came but the original idea was that. :nod:

films all the way.....i just wanted to be able to kick really high and punch through 5 foot thick concrete walls, obviously ive learnt different about martial arts now, but it was definatley all the kung fu films etc that got me into it

Kicking to the head is like punching to the toes

I firstly started martial arts to know how to protect myself, one day a black belt comes to my house and ask me and my parents sisters etc if want to join Kenshukai karate club, my mum and my dad really don't want to do so I persuade them to let me and my sister to join, and pay fees etc first class was hard work sweat everything all belts were good, but When I keep lerning and going am a pretty good karateka myself actually.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

• 2 weeks later...

I picked learn how to protect myself but the most appealing thing to me was actually Art in martial arts . It can give you a beautiful self awareness and wonderful way of life. And then you can beat up on someone lol

jus kiddin bout that las part

I never try anything...I just do it.

wanna try me

Too bad you can only vote once. ;)

I wanted to get in shape (I started a year before my wedding). I also wanted to know how to better defend myself. I need more discipline in my life as well, and I thought it would be a fun activity (more fun than watching TV or surfing the 'net, and now I enjoy it more than Baseball, and you can't play baseball in the winter anyway!).

I also happen to live under a dojo, and I really don't have any excuses not to take karate.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

Oh...I could write a book about this one but I'll keep in short (this time :brow: )!

Some times in order to overcome what we fear most we must face it. Martial arts represented everything I was afraid of, so I took it on as a challenge to change my life.

It did.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/