• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why is everyone worried about choosing the best martial art?

I think it is ridiculous that people compare styles for its effectiveness on the street. Is it just the human ego coming out, wanting to be invincible?

It just seems like everyone is paranoid about getting attacked on the street or something.

To choose a martial art solely based on a self-defense rating is just nonsense. If you commit to one style and work at it, then you'll be able to defend yourself against the rare occasions you may be attacked. If you are attacked, you'll probably be attacked by some drunk idiot. I highly doubt you'll need to be in the best martial art just in case Royce Gracie attacks you. I also highly doubt Royce Gracie can stop a bullet.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yes indeed, martial arts for me is a way to keep fit and have fun at the same time. It is also an interesting human and cultural experience. I have never been involved in street fight or in aggression in my life (I'm 42). So personal defence capability is just an extra bonus, not the main reason. :cowboy:

People want diffrent things, some people want the confidence and ability ot defend themselves in violent street situation.alot of times they dont want to devote years to traditonal martial art to get those results.

Are you really that surprised that self defense is the thing people want most in a martial art? That's primarily what martial arts are for.

It even seems that better sport oriented MA's are more closely connected to actual applicability to combat. Muay Thai matches are a whole lot more interesting than TKD to watch, while they're both still "just a game."

Many people take MA as self defense, and it would be silly to take a less successful method of self defense to defend yorself. Would you want to start an inferior training regimine for body building? Would you want to take the 3rd best chemotherepy regimine for your cancer? I think not.

And anyone who thinks they are invincable is not in a realistic art... but I think you are propping up a straw-man there.

Yes indeed, martial arts for me is a way to keep fit and have fun at the same time. It is also an interesting human and cultural experience. I have never been involved in street fight or in aggression in my life (I'm 42). So personal defence capability is just an extra bonus, not the main reason.

...for you. For others, those are not the reasons.

I'll throw in with the 'Every one for his own reasons' group here. I don't disrespect those who do MA's for sport or health, or any other reasons. But to me, the martial arts are primarily about fighting more effectively. Studying them is like working on a living, multidemensional puzzle. I'm fascinated by the way the pieces fit, and how things work together. I also enjoy the confidence and clarity it brings to every aspect of life.

I will say this about the sport and health guys- when you start removing too much of the martial from the art, bad things can happen. A lot of sport/demo/actor types have ended up with hip replacements and the like from doing some of the unrealistic kicks and other moves. Chuck Norris comes to mind. Another example is Tai Chi- I've been told and have read time and again that doing TCC without the martial component you get less than half the health bennifits. And a lot of them develope knee problems from doing it without proper understanding.

Reality training can have its own problems also. Aside from the probable injuries, too much mental conditioning in the 'killer instinct' can have adverse psychological effects. I vote for doing your own thing, but with ballance.

Freedom isn't free!

I agree not to remove the martial part from MA and make it become just like any other form of physical exercise. This is the reason why in MA there is more fun (IMO anyway) than in aerobics or weight lifting etc. The thing in which I agree with koreantiger81 is that street effectiveness is not the key point for everybody and it should not be the only criteria on how to judge a MA. Yes in the end everyone has his own reason I agree also on this.

This is one of the reasons that i hate the idea of "boxercise" and similar clases. Why put the effort into exercising with boxing/kickboxing type moves when you can put the same amount of effort into proper boxing/kickboxing where you get a better work out and learn to fight.

ohayo gozaimasu, o genki desu ka.

I think it is ridiculous that people compare styles for its effectiveness on the street. Is it just the human ego coming out, wanting to be invincible?

It just seems like everyone is paranoid about getting attacked on the street or something.

I think it's the competitive nature in all of us. Some people are content to practice whatever, and go through life aspiring to be the best at one thing. Others are not satisfied with that and want to take in as much as they can, be the best they can be at many things, and be prepared for any eventuality. Granted, you can go through life and never have a confrontation with anyone. And if you are trained the martial way, then you learn to control your temper and not put yourself in that position. But others (myself included) have jobs or things we do where we are put in harm's way and we don't know who or what we are facing around every corner. I don't know if I'll have to fight some drunk, or if I'll have to take on a black belt in Hapkido. Either way, I can say I'm prepared for just about anything thrown my way. Granted, the average person doesn't have to worry about that. But it's nice to know that you can take care of yourself well if the need arises. Street effectiveness is important for brawlers, but they shouldn't be in the martial arts with that mentality. It's also important for cops, bouncers, and other people who come into contact with potentially aggressive people daily. Those are people who definitely need street effective tactics. The 13 year old who has a bully after him may also feel the need to know this as well. But for the most part, a certain degree of street effective knowledge is key. I think people ask that question becuase they want the confidence to handle the situation, and they may be inexperienced at real street encounters. Most TKD and TSD guys (other arts as well) can hold their own pretty well against most attackers.

Mixed Martial Artist

It totally depends on what kind of person you are and maybe even what you do for a living. I enjoy MA's and have studied quite a few. I've found something that is going to keep me interested for the rest of my life. I enjoy MA's that sharpen the mind as well as the senses. If I want be physically in top shape I go to the gym.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"