• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many TMA guys cross train on here.

what orginzation you with. I mean who is your teacher, you no Ricky Rose, Gary Legacy, Mike Hanckock.

Sorry, I don't recognise any of those names. I'm currently under Sensei Larry Mason and with this organization:

http://www.geocities.com/rohai.geo/page.html

There are some old (1978) pictures of myself and Sensei Yuichi Kuda, whose teachings I still follow. I have trained primarily under Sensei Dennis (Denny) Miller, but have also worked briefly with Sensei Greg Ohl (Minnesota) and Sensei James Knoblett of Seattle.

Are those people you listed under Sensei Kise and the Kenshinkan organization?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought the hakutsuru was the name of a kata, not a style....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I cross-train a modern martial art (very external) MA i.e. kickboxing, with a traditional (internal) MA tai chi chuan -yang style. I started doing that because doing kickboxing I felt I was losing some importatant aspects of what a martial art and a martial artist should be. So now I think I have a more balanced training and, in the future, a more balanced curriculum.

thats good. I don't know to much about tai chi. Done a few excercises and breathing drills. Good after a work out, helps rejuvinate the body. after a good work out doing tai chi moves and breathing definelty got my body colled down and rejuvinated. Instead of feeling a bit tired after wards. So that is good.

-Jeff

i think someone's mentioned this before but how do you differentiate between 'cross-training' and training in multiple styles.

for instance.

i mainly train wing chun and have been for quite a few years now.

on the side i have learnt some choy li fut (ng ying kuen)

some hung kuen (gung gee fook fu)

tai chi (chin na)

and currently take part in kickboxing classes

and have trained with people from other styles (boxers, tkd, katate, judo).

BUT

i don't think i have 'crossed-trained'.

what i have done, is expose myself to other arts for the sake of having a reference point (and a hell of a lot fun despite the bruises, thanks to michael and pops and 'sifu dave').

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

i feel that you should study one art for a long time so that you have already mastered the basics, if you learn these and then want to better yourself go ahead and cross train. I myself waited about 10 yrs after my boxing career to learn a martial art....now this art was suppossed to be traditional but we combined alot to make it very street effective, so after 9 yrs there i started to cross train during my time in the military and just tried to pick up stuff from all the styles i was ever able to take, which fortunately was a great amount. I do encourage cross training, but i feel that you should have a great understanding of martial arts to begin with before you change or add another style.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

There is several White Crane (Hakutsuru) Kata that make up the Hakutsuru system. Which is based after alot of concepts. Some say one Hohan Soken only taught one crane Kata. Probably why people say it was a Kata. It is a sytem though. -Jeff

Shorinryu Sensei Both Larry Mason and Ricky Rose now train under Nishihira nephew of Hohan Soken.

Tony Sandoval trained under alot of diffrent instrucors he's been in the Marine Corp for 30 years and during that time spent 19 or 20 years collectively in the Orient. Through China, Japan, Korea, Tai won and Okinawa, mong and other places. Most of his time was around Okinawa though. This is a little bit about him.

Master Anthony (Tony) Sandoval, Sensei has been our instructor since November 1995. Master Sandoval is a very profiecient instructor in the Matsumura family system. He is President and founder of the Matsusokan and Ken Kyu Associations currently operating in the United States and Canada. The following is a partial list of his instructors and the degree Black Belt he holds in their respective systems:

Hohan Soken 6th dan Katsuya Miyahira 7th dan

Fusei Kise 4th dan Ken Irimina 6th dan

Seiki Arakaki 6th dan Seiki Itokazu 8th dan

Yuichi Kuda 7th dan Chosin Chibana 3rd dan

Takaya Yabiku 8th dan Shuguro Miyahara 1st dan

Seiyei Akamine 6th dan Kafu Kojo 3rd dan

Hiroshi Kikimura 8th dan Seiko Itokazu 3rd dan

Hesuke Oshiro 8th dan Seitoku Higa 3rd dan

Nishihara 7th dan Monimasa 6th dan

Koie Teruya 6th dan Takashi Kinjo 3rd dan

Nakazato 7th dan Shigeru Nakamura 3rd dan

Isao Oshiro 3rd dan Sejuro Miyahara 1st dan

Chozo Nakaima 7th dan Takahashi 7th dan

Shoshin Nagamine 4th dan

As well as many other instructors that don't wish to be known so he doesn't mention them to respect there privacy.

Since you mentioned to be around Shorin Ryu Circles so long I thought you might have heard of him.

Any way, Larry Mason is a good guy I have had a few chats with him on e-mail a couple years back.

-Jeff

a little side note.

don't post back to back.

it's kinda annoying.