TKD_McGee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always stretch before class or a workout,ALWAYS, true . I wouldn't have time for a liitle stretcharoo for a street altercation, but I believe the dojo stretching would minimize self -damage... :grin:

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

Slim....I understand exactly what you are saying! During a spar the adrenaline is pumping...and I often wake up the next day covered with bruises and feeling pain that I had not experienced during the course of the matches. Once I even broke my toe but didn't realize I did until the next day when the pain set in! So I guess the adrenaline can supress a certain amount of pain but.... pain of muscle stress is ineveitable in the end especially if you fail to stretch adequately before a class.

Tae Kwon Do Blk Belt 1st deg./Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-11-19 13:57 ]

• 3 years later...

Adrenaline rushes are a natural reaction to immediate danger, or so I've heard. They give you the extra push to run or fight.

Personally I try to stretch every day after a warmup (there's a cool Shotokan kata called sinchin which warms your muscles from the inside). If you stretch everyday your flexibility will improve greatly.

Not wise at all! You have a major possibility of tearing or ripping something. I always get to class early and stretch..you should do this too...we warm-up with basic movements, punches, and other phsyical activity, but we rarely stretch before class, so I'll normally do it before...and most of the time after. It's important to do this before and after, once for the warmup, and afterwards for the cooldown. It is true you won't have time to stretch on the street, but also you probably won't be throwing crescent kicks and backfists on the street either, so...it is not wise to not stretch...always stretch when you can! Plus, the more flexible you become now, the easier a fight will be on the street if you get into one.

I almost take an hour to myself before any MA to warm up, run through basics, and prepare mentally. I also take time in the morning, before I run, before I lift weights, anytime I'm going to put stress on myself.

On the street, it'd be an entirely different story, but I'm not going to be concerned over pulling my groin when someone has a knife.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Always, always, always stretch. It's a very bad idea to not stretch. And I know I'm just repeating what everyone else is saying, here, but the're right!

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

So before a Street Fight, I will simply ask my opponent.. "Excuse me good sir, I would like to stretch before we proceed with our scrimmage"..!

:lol:

Seriously, though, the point is, if you aren't warmed up, you are at greater risk of injury. You can't practice training while cold to make your body respond any better while cold.

However, your training and stretching will allow you to do more when you are cold than you would if you did not train.

You just have to realize when you are cold that there are certain things you shouldn't try unless you have to.

TKD McGee, I agree with your instructor...up to a point. It takes several years and many hours of daily stretching and training to achieve and maintain the flexibility needed to kick with full power at a moments notice. Therefore, in theory, a student should have achieved this level by the time they take their BB test. To expect a beginner or intermediate student to kick "cold' is not practical in todays dojo but to expect an advanced student to do so part of your obligation to teach them true self-defense and encourage self-discipline. You as an instructor are obligated to know your students true limits as well as thier perceived limits and push them to grow in those areas both physically and mentally.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/