is it posibel to fail a grading

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally, i would question your dojo and your instructors quality if he passes you after you "made loads of mistakes". you either know it and pass or you dont and fail.

In our dojo our Sempai only tests those who he thinks are ready, so failing is usually rare. Again more leeway is given to lower belts and people start testing less as they get higher in belt level.

We have three levels of pass - 1st class, 2nd class and third. The third class passes are usually just provisional passes, and students are expected to improve alot in order to keep the new grade.

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

If you are passed in our dojo you keep your rank no matter what. There are still some partial grades. You pass, but are expected to perform better in a month or so. You don't pay the test again and have the rank assigned in the testing you partially took. This is done at lower ranks that did almost OK, but have 1 or 2 things to work. In order to show them their work is being respected and there are some aspects to take care of, sensei grades them. The get the belt, but the diploma would be given when they prove they master the spects they lackd. No need to say they were masters at the second grading and sensei was pleased to see they really earned their rank.

For the student is good to have this, because the rank taken "partially" motivates them.

It's not usually done, but sometimes the student is not feeling OK, is tired or too emotional and although has worked very good at classes he manages to make some mistakes. Sensei knows they've put a lot of effort before (otherwise they wouldn't test at all), but also knows they weren't quite convincing. So they have a second chance and all pass with flying colors :karate:

well me hellburner whitelion and darkangel azrel all go to the same dojo and i have only seen somone fail once when for 9kyu (he is a rubish kararteka)

triped him self up and wan ended up skiding into the sensi since he way less that 7 stone it didnt do much but it merted a fail

we do not fear death,

for we are death inccarenated!

may the inner fire never die for it is that can help you ceep going

• 2 weeks later...

typically an instructor will be fairly certain at least that a student will pass a grading. When students fail a grading it is almost always due to a brain fart. In my dojo every class is a test, life is a test. Students who exhibit proper attitude and discipline progress faster than those who just show up. I always fail a student regardless of how well they do somewhere near brown belt. If they perservere they will most likely make it to Black Belt, if they quit and do not accept failure........ the failure was just.

Shidoshi

In my tai chi chuan school the main instructor does not admit you to test if he feels you are not ready

... and the admission after the minimal term (i.e. 6 months) is not guarateed at all.

During the exam if you make big mistakes you do not pass but you are allowed to re-test after a month or so. Usually in the first test (6th to 5th chi) there is a lot of tolerance but the second (5th to 4th chi belt color change) is quite rigid.

In GKR we go Yellow, Orange, Green etc.

We have been told that the Yellow and Orange are morale belts and that most students fail the Green because it is graded without the same leeway.

Failure is a definite option when you get to Green and above.

Personally, I graded Yellow a few weeks ago, and because of a mommentary lapse of thought (I didn't wait for the guy on the end to Yame before I started) I would have failed me. I am much harder on myself than other people seem to be, and I hope that if I mess up in any way I will have to retake the grading.

You only have to be perfect for one afternoon to get your belt, why should you be excused for lack of preparation and concentration?

Do not meddle in the affirs of geeks

for they are subtle and quick to anger