is it posibel to fail a grading

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every art (& studio) has different grading rules, some extremely harder than others - but when it comes down to it, it is possible to fail.

Some give more leeway to lower belts (I dont know where orange belt ranks for you, but for us, its the second belt), especially if they know that you know your stuff and seem to just be having a bad day.

They also take into account that you aren't going to know everything perfectly (hence your belt being orange as opposed to black)

Unfortunately, as another thread on here went, I think a lot of studios do not fail students for the fear of losing them & their money.

Congratulations on passing though!

Well, in my experience, I've never failed a test for a belt, but it is possible, and I've seen it happen on many occasions. Usually, there is more leeway at the lower ranks, as was said, and much more is expected at the senior levels.

More often that not, people will pass the test, since for the most part, instructors don't (or shouldn't, anyway) let people test who aren't ready for it.

There are instances, however, when there is just something missing, that students will fail tests.

There are any number of reasons why it may happen, but for the time being, I'll leave it at that.

Sure it's possible to fail a test. Like everyone has said, it depends on the school, and the rank being tested for. Over last summer I held a testing where 2 of my students who knew all their material, for whatever reasons did not perform to my expectations. The testing was straight forward, and there were no "wrenches" thrown into it, so I guess they just forgot to mentally prepare. Did they pass.......the answer is no. I did give them a set amount of time to go back through their material, and then offered a re-test. Glad to say they all did better the second go-around. So as you progress, don't take it for granted that you'll pass each and every rank, especially when you get closer to your BB :o

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Yes, it's possible to fail. I know of one guy who failed his black belt test (under a famous Japanese sensei) 5 times!!

It's always wise to remember that, just because an instructor has invited someone to test for their next belt it doesn't automatically mean that they will pass. However, instructors don't/shouldn't generally put people in for the grading that are most likely going to fail it.

Congratulations on passing your grading, HellBurner!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I suppose the reason most ppl pass is becuase ur sensei knows ur ready and gives u the grading, and when ur ready u'll pass, its as simple as that...well on most occassions unless theres abit of "bad instructer syndrome"...

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I train with someone that failed on their 2nd degree test.

The master doing the grading said, "I know you're better than that", and told them to train harder for the next test.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

One of the guys I train with failed his Needan (Shotokan) because he knocked someone out when perform kata with oponents (to test application) he passed the second time round though.